WAC vs Sectional

Old February 3rd 05, 11:39 PM
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:

If a column air is rising, adjacent air is descending.

You don't get something for nothing.

It's not for nothing, it's from the sun. But I guess I should take some
glider lessons and learn the ins and outs of thermals.

I think we know the ins and outs of thermals quite well. Why do you
think gliders spiral around in the thermals rather than flying straight
through them?

Matt
Old February 4th 05, 01:35 AM
Morgans

wrote

I think the glider cross country distance record of some 700+ miles,
if I'm not mistaken, was flown at no more than 400' agl or so.

OK, I'll bite! What kind of flight/ circumstances allow a glider to travel
that distance, at that low level?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 4th 05, 01:38 AM
Mike Rapoport

The distance glider records are now mostly flown in mountain wave conditions
and well into the flight levels. I've never heard of any distance gliding
record being flown at 400agl.

Mike
MU-2

wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:15:57 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

So, we all know life isn't fair, and Father Death tends to deal random
blows
to all concerned. That said, flying cross-country at 500 AGL, just
because
the view is better, strikes me as tempting fate a wee bit too much.

Old February 4th 05, 02:19 AM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

wrote

I think the glider cross country distance record of some 700+ miles,
if I'm not mistaken, was flown at no more than 400' agl or so.

OK, I'll bite! What kind of flight/ circumstances allow a glider to travel
that distance, at that low level?

The flight started on a ridge of the Appalachians. The pilot followed the ridges
down to Tennessee, staying on the western side about 50' AGL. That way he stayed
in a constant updraft. The article I read said the turbulence was brutal.

George Patterson
He who would distinguish what is true from what is false must have an
adequate understanding of truth and falsehood.
Old February 4th 05, 03:22 AM
Mike Rapoport

Actually, distance records are now set with waves and usually in South
America. The current record flights are almost 1500nm.

Mike
MU-2

wrote in message

Altitude records are set with waves.

Distance records are done with ridge soaring.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:38:30 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

The distance glider records are now mostly flown in mountain wave
conditions
and well into the flight levels. I've never heard of any distance gliding
record being flown at 400agl.

Mike
MU-2

. ..

Old February 4th 05, 03:34 AM

I don't know about South America, Europe, Japan, Russia or China.

In the U. S., distance records are set on the east coast. If they
were set with waves, they would be set on the west coast, where all
the really great wave soaring exists.

The U. S. out and back distance record was set by Tom Knauff, out of
PA, in 1983, I believe, and as far as I know, that record still
stands.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 03:22:30 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

Actually, distance records are now set with waves and usually in South
America. The current record flights are almost 1500nm.

Mike
MU-2

.. .

Old February 4th 05, 04:03 AM
Morgans

"George Patterson" wrote

The flight started on a ridge of the Appalachians. The pilot followed the

ridges
down to Tennessee, staying on the western side about 50' AGL. That way he

stayed
in a constant updraft. The article I read said the turbulence was brutal.

I suspected that. I bet he was higher than 400 feet, at times, and well
above 50 almost all the time. Steepness in places at that altitude would
have put a wing into a mountain!
--
Jim in NC

Old February 4th 05, 02:02 PM
Jay Honeck

That said, I ask you - why do you fly in those dangerous crazy
contraptions in the first place? I've read some of the stories you've
posted, and while I wouldn't call them "crazy", some of them have given me
pause to wonder.

Hey -- you'll get no where with me imitating my mother-in-law!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 4th 05, 07:43 PM
Everett M. Greene

" writes:
Jay Honeck wrote:
That said, flying cross-country at 500 AGL, just because
the view is better, strikes me as tempting fate a wee bit too much.

I've done that before for other reasons (low ceilings, high winds)
over suitable terrain. I actually felt more comfortable with regard to
emergency options when flying 500-700 ft. over Kansas or central
Alberta than I usually do when flying 3,000 AGL over the mountainous
terrain I usually fly over.

Most of Kansas, for example, is one huge emergency landing site as far
as the eye can see.

You left out Oklahoma, most of Texas, Nebraska, the Dakotas,
eastern Montana, Saskatchewan, eastern Alberta,...
Old February 5th 05, 01:34 AM
George Patterson

"Everett M. Greene" wrote:

You left out Oklahoma, most of Texas, Nebraska, the Dakotas,
eastern Montana, Saskatchewan, eastern Alberta,...

Lots of flat land in East Tennessee too. Of course, it's mostly vertical.