7/8 Nieuport 11 flying qualities?

Old February 10th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default 7/8 Nieuport 11 flying qualities?

I just got my taildragger endorsement in a Cessna 140, and I'm curious
which taildragger out there (J-3, citabria, pacer, 120/140, etc) most
approximates a Nieuports' handling characteristics...(if any)?

Old February 11th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Colin: I was riding in a friends Bell 47 GB3 the other day and I looked at
him and he had both hands up adjusting the visor on his helmet. Needless to
say my right hand got awfully close to the cyclic while he fooled around.
Can you provide instruction on chewing gun and hovering? Do you look
further out or in close? It would help avoid fatigue in my jaw muscles and
at least that is one set of muscles to start on. Some of the others are
going to require special attention.

--
Kathy Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
.net...
I know a guy who flies a Fokker Triplane and he says if you let go of
the controls and leave it to its own devices it slews off into a left
wing down sideslip and will stay like that all the way to the ground.

Helicopters will not fly themselves, either. But, after awhile, you just
get used to it. Pretty soon, you can chew gum while you fly. I even
figured out how to change channels on the radio.

The scale Neuport that I saw was beautiful - but it had a horizontal bar
right in front of the dash and I could not help but wonder where that

would
be if the airplane stopped flying before my head did.

Colin

Old February 11th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

Can you provide instruction on chewing gun and hovering?

I hope that was a typo, and not a request for instructions for a truly
memorable suicide...

Mark Hickey
Old February 12th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I was having a terrible time getting the hovering down. It was continually
chasing things. I was about ready to give up. Then, one day on the way to
the airport, I got something in my eye. My eye was watering and I could not
get it out. I was uncomfortable and the eye was getting most of my
attention. I was going to cancel the flight, but it was such a nice day I
was hoping that my eye would just fix itself.

We started out and the first thing we did was go over to the practice area
and hover until the instructor got sick of it. Once settled, the instructor
said "you have the controls". My eye still hurt. However, I noted the
helicopter was not moving. I looked over at the instructor's hands and they
were off the controls. My thought was then, "who in the hell is flying this
thing?". It was some time before I realized I was hovering. It was the
first time I stopped thinking about the controls and kept thinking about my
eye. All of a sudden, a big smile came across my face and I forgot about
the eye.

So, I finally figured out how to fly a helicopter - you do it with your
mind. Driving home, I was hovering all the way. Days like that are what
flying is all about.

Colin

Old February 13th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Big John" wrote in message
Original birds in WWI operated off grass fields and had 'skags' (sp).

With full back stick you dug the 'skag' in ground and didn't need
brakes to stop.

If you build a prototype today you need brakes as most, if not all,
flying is off hard surface.

Big John

I wonder if anyone has tried using a skag, only cutting the tread section
off of an old auto tire and bolting it onto the bottom. It seems to me
that
many of the same attributes would be attained, and some of the same ground
handling characteristics.
--
Jim in NC

You can make the tailskid work on pavement with a boot. I have seen them
with wooden sacrificial blocks on them. The real problem with a tailskid
isn't landing on the runway. They are an absolute bugger to taxi on the
ramp! Especially if you have any airplanes to dodge. It takes a healthy
blast to get the tail up so you can kick it around and with no brakes you
will also get moving pretty fast with a couple of close turns. A friend of
mine has a Waco 10 with an OX-5 engine and a tailskid with no brakes. We
park it as close to the runway as we can to avoid taxi. Especially at
flyins! :-)

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )