Attempted forced entry.

Old September 12th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Default Attempted forced entry.

Lou wrote:
On Sep 11, 6:03 pm, Matt Whiting wrote:
JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:
Given what little you know about the attempt, I would do nothing. I
think reporting this would simply we wasting the time of the police.
I agree. Since you don't know when or where it happened, and nothing was
taken, the cops are going to have zero interest in this.
When I actually had an avionics theft back in '96, I couldn't even get the
cops to come out to the airport. They just took a report over the phone so I
could put in an insurance claim.
In real life, all of those ominous signs at the airport about it being a
federal offense to tamper with aircraft are just window dressing. If it's
just a property crime, no one really cares.

That was my experience exactly. I had a KX165 stolen from my 182 around
1998. The police had zero interest in the theft other than giving me
what I needed for the insurance claim.

The really interesting part is that I bought a used KX165 from one of
the avionics shops in Florida (I forget the name now, but one of the
larger ones not a fly-by-night outfit) and, you guessed it, found that
it was MY radio! I thought the wear on the bezel looked a little too
familiar and a serial number checked confirmed it. I called the
avionics retailed and they had bought it yellow-tagged from a smaller
avionics shop in Ohio. I called them and they had failing memory and
couldn't remember where they got it. I reported it to the NY state
police and they couldn't have cared less. They said that for the value
in question it wasn't worth their while. They suspected it was stolen
by someone driving west on route 17 which runs right by our airport and
then fenced the next day to the Ohio shop who asked no questions and
probably paid in cash.

Matt

So just my own curiosity, couldn't you press charges of selling stolen
goods?
Lou

I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure, but the police made it clear
they weren't interested in pursuing it. Could I have convinced Florida
to pursue the avionics retailer? Maybe, but it wasn't worth it to try
to pursue a case in a state 1,000 miles away.

Matt
Old September 12th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
Mike Isaksen wrote:
"Lou" wrote ...
"Matt Whiting" wrote:
I reported it to the NY state police and they couldn't have cared
less. They said that for the value in question it wasn't worth their
while. They suspected it was stolen by someone driving west on
route 17 which runs right by our airport and then fenced the next
day to the Ohio shop who asked no questions and probably paid
in cash.
So just my own curiosity, couldn't you press charges of selling stolen
goods?

Criminal charges are not brought to the Court by civilians. The
insurance claim cited means that the Insurance Co probably had the
biggest loss in this. They may also have the means to convince the
Ohio authorities to investigate the shop. If the owner is sloppy, he
may still have some other stolen product laying on shelves. But the
interstate nature of the items means the locals will need assistance
from the Feds, who typically look down on these small cases.

Real life isn't like TV, where people in authority are always
competent and highly motivated.

As it was a federal crime you should have contacted the federal
authorities. You have at least two companies involved in interstate
trade of stolen goods. That is a crime over and above the law I listed
up-thread.

The state police called the FBI. When they heard the size of the loss,
they had no interest either. What part of "law enforcement" had no
interest didn't you understand from my earlier post?

We also let the insurance company know all that we knew, and they said
it wasn't worth going after either. They sent us a check and seemed
happy and we had our radio back so we were mostly happy other than
having a couple of weeks without a radio.

Matt
Old September 13th 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

Matt Whiting writes:

The state police called the FBI. When they heard the size of the loss,
they had no interest either. What part of "law enforcement" had no
interest didn't you understand from my earlier post?

Unless they are going to get on TeeVee, the Bureau could care less at an
under say $20K loss. Such a case would never get them promoted.

Sorry, Charlie, the tunas with good taste lose again...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old September 13th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

Matt Whiting wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
Mike Isaksen wrote:
"Lou" wrote ...
"Matt Whiting" wrote:
[...]

The feds don't really care.
We had a incident where someone put valve grinding compound in the oil
of one of our jump planes and the pilot put it down about a mile from
take off. Airplane survived but the 40 hour motor was trashed. Almost
killed a plane full of people.
The person in question was witnessed buying the stuff at the local auto
parts store.
The feds didn't pursue it and the county cops told the pilot/owner do
what you need to do, just don't do it in his county.