Relieving in flight

Old April 6th 18, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Relieving in flight

At 20:34 06 April 2018, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks, but that's not what I was looking for.Â* I still have a few gel
pack leg bags but I'm running out.Â* Standard urinary leg bags keep it
liquid and, though I've never had a mishap, I'd sure hate to see a 1
liter (33.81402 oz) bag break in the cockpit.

On 4/6/2018 10:13 AM, Paul Agnew wrote:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NV878S?

psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

TravelJohn on Amazon is the brand I use.

Paul A.

--
Dan, 5J

you can buy the powder crystals in a container. Then, you just put
a scoop of these crystals in your standard leg bag, and now it will gel
up for you. It's pretty cheap IIRC.

Hold on. I just found the link. $19.99 and free shipping with Prime
for a pound of the stuff. Diaper polymer.

https://www.amazon.com/Universe-Scie...onal-Products-
Superabsorbent/dp/B00579ROC6/ref=sr_1_3?
ie=UTF8&qid=1513886388&sr=8-3&keywords=+Sodium+Polyacrylate

RO

Old April 7th 18, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I use an old Platypus drinking bag. Much stronger than catheter bags and it has survived 12 years so far.
Old April 7th 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks Charlie.Â* I went back to my previous salesman and was told he had
left the company.Â* The company seems not interested in orders of 100,
since they sell to hospitals in large quantity.Â* I'm getting by with my
current bags but will keep an eye out.Â* The draw here is the ability to
hook up with an external catheter and, once settled into the cockpit,
relief is a non-event with no spillage.

On 4/6/2018 2:45 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Dan, how about an online search for "gel pee bags"? I did so through Google and had a lot of hits. Maybe something is what you are looking for?

Then again, maybe you already did that and "no joy".

Have you looked up your brand? Maybe they have links to vendors?

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 7th 18, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I think I've got something like that on a shelf somewhere!Â* I'll take a
look.

Old April 7th 18, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here you find a list with a few options you have:

The Post is in german, but google chrome browser translation will certainly help you with the translations:

Have a look
https://www.milvus.aero/pinkeln_im_segelflugzeug/

Old April 7th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

NP......

Maybe talk to local hospitals, take their buyer out for a beer or 2, then ask to buy a small quantity for yourself at their cost plus "maybe" a small markup.
Hey, maybe it costs a few beers to get exactly what you want?
If you don't ask, you'll never know.

I still do quart sized zip baggies and toss them overboard. I should really look into an external catheter since most XC ships I fly have the rest.

I wonder how many pilots have forgotten to disconnect from the ship tubing BEFORE exiting the ship? Regardless of at home, field or emergency......
"Yep, it's 20" long..........but only 1/4" in diameter".
You metric types can convert.....but, you get the idea......
Old April 7th 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Olinger

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 8:56:46 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Ok guys, this has probably been covered in older posts but what are you all using regarding urinary relief on long flights? Ive used gallon ziplock bags in the past but whats your experience with cathaters. What brand and how are they.

I use an external cath with quick connect I got from Cumulus. There are two types of the quick connects: one that has a shutoff feature and one that is a hole. I normally cath-up before going out but the type I use depends on how soon I expect to launch. I can relive through the one that has no shutoff before I takeoff if I am delayed. If I am sure I'm going right off I use the shutoff type as it virtually eliminates drips when disconnecting from either the ships system or the two liter medical bag I also use.

I always carry a gallon zip lock as a backup and once, after filling the 2 liter bag, went to that only to find it had a hole in the corner from being in the glider for too long. Made for an interesting situation. I now hang two of the 2 liter bags behind my seat. Cold weather makes one go more often and 2 liters is not enough on longer flights.

You can get the cath's and 2 liter bags at a medical supply company. They have a drain valve and I use a funnel to pour a water and bleach solution in it to wash/rinse it out. They last a good while if cared for properly.
Old April 8th 18, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Hahahahahaha, ROTFLMAO............ sounds like a Billy Connolly skit........

Your description is right up there with getting said member caught in a zipper when rushing a bathroom break. No clue what's worse, getting it caught, or knowing you have to unzip it........

Old April 8th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 8:45:05 PM UTC-4, Roy Garden wrote:
...requires a tube running external from the glider

Obviously, get a Mark VIII

...Having read none of the instructions on how to...

Proving once again that glider pilots never, ever, ever, read the instructions...