Weird Experimental Certificate wording - Normal?

Old January 7th 05, 01:51 AM
Noel Luneau

Default Weird Experimental Certificate wording - Normal?

I have an ASW-17 and the aircraft is registered under
an experimental certificate and has special operating
limitations.
They read, in part, 'All flights shall be conducted
within the geographic area described as follows: Within
300 mile radius of a sanctioned glider meet or contest.
Profficiency flights may be conducted in the vicinity
of fly-ins or airshows.'

Is this common for Experimental Certificates for our
sailplanes?

Thanks,

Noel

Old January 8th 05, 08:34 PM
Jim Culp

Gentlemen & Ladies who fly gliders,
in USA:

You think you got a bad Operating Limitations limit?

Think again.

I bought a 1983 Schleicher ASW-20C, a year ago. Nice
glider!

There was no Ops Limits in file.

I wrote the Charlotte FSDO where glider was handled
for 'Special Airworthiness Certificate - Exhibition'

Old January 8th 05, 09:43 PM
Jim Culp

correction: FSDO of my asw-20c glider, N929M,
Special Airworthiness Certificate - Experimental, Exhibition
Purposes,
was
Columbia, South Carolina; Not Charlotte.

Old January 9th 05, 12:43 AM
Jim Phoenix

Jim,

You are entitled (that's what the Order says - entitled) to Operations
Limitations as shownn in the FAA Order 8130.2F. If you go to the FSDO with a
copy of the pertinent section of that Order (posted earlier) that's what
you'll get. Actually, you'll get the entire Ops Limitaitons, but that
section of the boilerplate dealing with gliders is the important part. They
like it if you bring the current revision of th eorder, so don't show up
with a section from the 8130.2D or .2E.

You guys that want to get rid of the program letter please note that you can
change the rule. You just need to get a lobbyist to insert appropriate
legislation in the appropriations bill next year and voila, it's done. Good
luck. Personally, I'd like to see a lobbyist spend your resources to change
some other rules.

I don't have to send in a program letter for my Experimental - Exhibition
and Racing glider because its certificate is pre-1993. For more details, you
can read it in the Order.

Jim

"Jim Culp" wrote in message

Gentlemen & Ladies who fly gliders,
in USA:

You think you got a bad Operating Limitations limit?

Think again.

I bought a 1983 Schleicher ASW-20C, a year ago. Nice
glider!

There was no Ops Limits in file.

I wrote the Charlotte FSDO where glider was handled
for 'Special Airworthiness Certificate - Exhibition'
.

To seek this, I gave FAA FSDO date of issuance of
SpecAirworthinessCertificate, who signed it for FAA,

and asked FSDO to send me the file copy of Operating
Limitations on N929M, Asw-20C.

They did. Got it in the mail. Good service. They
keep things in files. Yup.

Know ye,
that this glider has been flown all over the country
in the years since 1983
in many contests and many long long flights here and
there. Sho nuff. Fine glider.

Yes, indeed, it is a Schleicher Segelflugzeugbau Factory
German built ASW-20C,
with german LBA Type Certificate.
That showed on its German LBA Export Certificate of
Airworthiness.

Well, got the Operating Limitations from FAA FSDO Charlotte,
dated when US Certificate of Airworhiness was issued.

No updates had been done.
No modifications.

Brothers and Sisters, I tell you.

My jaw fell slack. My eyes glased over.

My heart stopped.

N929M is limited to flight within twenty (20) nautical
mile radius of Chester Municipal Airport, S.C.

You got it. That is it.

This was not temporary.

This requirement was not designed nor specified to
be flown off, as a temporary measure, as is often the
drill for experimental amateur built aircraft.

As specified by FAA, this 20 NM Flight Radius from
Chester Municipal Airport is for real, and permanent.

Who says we don't get more Government than we pay for?

Those FAA staff were
Workin' Overtime
To Regulate this Glider.

Uh. Gee.

Well, since I live in Florida, I must deal with Orlando
FSDO and shall seek a permissive revision.
Will do.
No clue what I shall get.

Now, I am seeking and gathering copies of highly permissive
ASW-20 Operating Limitations
to use as evidences
to support my Letter Seeking Operating Limitations
Change;
in that I shall request modification to the FAA.

I am further seeking from any of you operating under
Special Airworthiness Certificate -Experimental, Exhibition
and or Racing, permissive Operating Limitations specifications.
Also, I am seeking copies of Operating Limitations
that are highly permissive of other gliders Special
Airworthiness Certificated that are Experimental -
Ex/and or Racing

For those of you who say Operating Limitations are
not enforced, consider: The only time any enforcement
of the paperwork or other things comes is when there
has been an accident, incident, or other cause in their
minds for FAA to say,

'Lets start with the paperwork....' Pilot certificate,
Aircraft Registration, Airworthiness Certificate...ad
infinitum,,,and then if they dont like ya they have
the violation fall back of undefined Careless and Wreckless
Operation of Aircraft. It is not a juried event, and
no court procedures must be followed.

Dancing on clouds,

Keep it up!

Jim Culp USA
GatorCity Fla
Asw-20C
17459 Nw 175 Ave
Alachua, Fla 32615

Old January 9th 05, 04:28 PM
Kevin Christner

Jim,

When you moved didn't you have to get a new airworthiness certificate
from the local FSDO. Every experimental glider I've had has required a
reissue of the airworthiness.

Kevin

Old January 10th 05, 03:05 AM
Jim Phoenix

No,

My certificate was issued pre-1993. The order grandfathers all certificates
pre-1993 to their originally issued Ops Limitations letter. My letter does
not state I have to get a new one when I move or sell the glider. Later Ops
Limitations state that.

It's important not to lose your pre-1993 certificate or Ops Limitations, a
replacement will probably, most likely, be in accordance with the newer
Order.

Jim

oups.com...

Old January 11th 05, 02:53 PM
Bob C

In the airshow business, I have to deal with this issue
every weekend. My operating limitations are 250 mile
radius from my home field. It is a simple matter to
include other sites in your annual program letter.
My program letter is a simple one-pager. I just update
it in the spring as my show schedule firms up. You
may also fax a change to FSDO if you decide on a last-minute
trip to another site.

I'm guessing most of us forget all about the program
letter. I'm also guessing that if everyone sent one
annually, with weekly updates, the FAA might get tired
of dealing with it and reduce the requirements.

This requirement came about as a result of the large
number of Russian jets that flooded the market about
20 years ago. They were being registered as experimental-exhibiti
on, but were being flown (at high altitude and high
airspeed) like certified aircraft. There was even
a temporary moratorium on ALL Exp-Exh aircraft (including
gliders) for a few weeks while FAA decided what to
do about the problem. I don't recall for sure, but
I'm guessing this was all the result of an accident
somewhere that made the news.

What, if anything, is SSA doing on this front???

Bob C.

At 04:00 10 January 2005, Jim Phoenix wrote:
No,

My certificate was issued pre-1993. The order grandfathers
all certificates
pre-1993 to their originally issued Ops Limitations
letter. My letter does
not state I have to get a new one when I move or sell
the glider. Later Ops
Limitations state that.

It's important not to lose your pre-1993 certificate
or Ops Limitations, a
replacement will probably, most likely, be in accordance
with the newer
Order.

Jim

roups.com...