Winch give-away

Old January 9th 05, 09:38 PM
KP

Default Winch give-away

Our club has a winch that has not been used for fifteen years. When we
moved to a public airport there was not the logistics to run a winch
operation. So there it sat.
At the last BoD meeting it was decided to take it to the scrap metal
yard and see what we can get for it. But I made the tragic mistake,I
spoke up and said that maybe someone in "Gliderville" would like to
have it to start a winch launch program at there club. It would be a
shame to just junk it. So in the time honored tradition of a club, if
you speak up on something you are assigned to do somthing about it.
It consists of a Chivy 283 V8 engine with an automatic transmission
connected to an automotive differential and a large spool is mounted to
the axel. All is mounted on a small trailer with a cage to protect the
winch operator. The cable on the spool appears to be made of stainless
steel (?) and is guided on the spool by some beefy rollers at the front
of the trailer.
So there you have it. It needs some work to get it runnig again. And
allot more work to make it look pretty again. But it's for "FREE"! All
you have to do is grab your leash and drag this dog away. Not sure if
it isa 1 7/8" or 2" ball trailer hitch.
Ken (KP)

Old January 9th 05, 10:51 PM

Where is the winch located?

Old January 9th 05, 10:52 PM
KP

Hi All again
Forgot to give the location :-(

The winch is in northern California just outside the San Francisco
aera.

Ken (KP)

Old January 10th 05, 10:03 AM
OscarCVox

Our club has a winch that has not been used for fifteen years. When we
moved to a public airport there was not the logistics to run a winch
operation.

Where are you Oz, SA, Uk or even the USA?
Old January 10th 05, 03:44 PM
Bob K.

Earlier, OscarCVox wrote:

Where are you Oz, SA, Uk or even the USA?

I believe so.

But seriously, if it's the ex-Sky Sailing winch I'm thinking of, the
article is probably at or near Byron, California, USA, Earth, Sol C3,
in the unfashionable West arm of the Milky Way galaxy.
Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

Old January 11th 05, 08:04 PM
Bill

KP,

Is the winch still available? If so, I would like to have it to
rebuild for our local soaring in CO.

Bill
KP wrote:
[...]

LIppmann reports a 950 meter winch launch with their Dynatec winch line - anything higher? Bill Daniels Soaring 20 December 27th 04 12:33 AM
Winch Physics Bob Johnson Soaring 15 March 27th 04 07:33 PM
Winch design c1rrus Soaring 10 January 19th 04 12:18 PM
Winch Way Is Up !! Craig Freeman Soaring 45 November 6th 03 03:08 PM
using winch instead of aerotow goneill Soaring 5 August 27th 03 02:46 PM