Boeing to fly fuel-cell GA plane...

Old July 13th 03, 09:12 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta

Default Boeing to fly fuel-cell GA plane...

I read an interesting article in the papers a while ago concerning hydrogen
fuel cells. It made the point that the fuel cell can actually be more
polluting than an petrol engine since all the hydrogen ejected into the
atmosphere could have an adverse effect on the oxygen in the air and
possibly lead to a decrease of global temperature...

Triple Delta

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in message
http://www.msnbc.com/news/937600.asp?0cv=CB10

It's not actually a GA-related project, the're just using a Diamond for

the
testbed. Still, it's an interesting idea.

Old July 13th 03, 09:47 PM
Tom S.

"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote in message
I read an interesting article in the papers a while ago concerning

hydrogen
fuel cells. It made the point that the fuel cell can actually be more
polluting than an petrol engine since all the hydrogen ejected into the
atmosphere could have an adverse effect on the oxygen in the air and
possibly lead to a decrease of global temperature...

Shirley you're not serious?

Tom

Old July 13th 03, 11:26 PM
John T

"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote in message

I read an interesting article in the papers a while ago concerning
hydrogen fuel cells. It made the point that the fuel cell can
actually be more polluting than an petrol engine since all the
hydrogen ejected into the atmosphere could have an adverse effect on
the oxygen in the air and possibly lead to a decrease of global
temperature...

Read it again. I believe you'll find that the authors are complaining about
the possible leaks in hydrogen production and transport. Here's a link
discussing the report:
http://www.nature.com/nsu/030609/030609-14.html

Fuel cells themselves are infinitely cleaner than petroleum fuels. The
hydrogen used in mass production cells may or may not be stored/transported
in gaseous form.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old July 14th 03, 02:52 AM
G.R. Patterson III

DeltaDeltaDelta wrote:

I read an interesting article in the papers a while ago concerning hydrogen
fuel cells. It made the point that the fuel cell can actually be more
polluting than an petrol engine since all the hydrogen ejected into the
atmosphere could have an adverse effect on the oxygen in the air and
possibly lead to a decrease of global temperature...

The article was obviously written by a moron (or possibly misunderstood).
Engines that use fuel cells eject water. Simple chemistry. Two molecules
of hydrogen plus one of oxygen produce water (H2O) and a little energy
(can you say "Hindenburg"?).

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 14th 03, 04:56 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta

Now that you mentioned it, I also recall some thesis that if the water is
ejected from the engine, it will increase the moisture levels slowly until
how-knows-what happens. It makes very little sense, yes, probably somebody
wrote it in lack of anything else to write about...

Triple Delta

Old July 15th 03, 03:00 AM
G.R. Patterson III

DeltaDeltaDelta wrote:

Now that you mentioned it, I also recall some thesis that if the water is
ejected from the engine, it will increase the moisture levels slowly until
how-knows-what happens.

But the hydrogen was created by electrolization of water, removing exactly
as much water from the system as will be restored when the fuel is used.

It's a closed system in that regard. The net amount of water remains the
same.

Old July 15th 03, 07:25 PM
Peter Duniho

"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote in message
Possibly they meant that the hydrogen can be obtained from liquid water,

but
leaves the engine in a gaseous state. Some of this will condense, but some
could also stay in the atmosphere and form clouds or drift into the higher
layers of the atmosphere.

Water vapor is already a byproduct of our current engine technologies. And
yes, it is a potential problem. But fuel cells are FAR more efficient than
combustion engines, without any of the other harmful emissions. Anyone
trying to argue that fuel cells won't be a net win is just plain crazy.

Pete