GPS Visualizer update: a few new features

Old December 2nd 04, 07:55 PM
Adam Schneider

Default GPS Visualizer update: a few new features

It's been a while since I posted an update on what's happening with
GPS Visualizer ( http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ ), so here goes:

* LANDSAT MAPS HAVE RETURNED. The NASA server that provides excellent
satellite imagery of the entire world is finally back on-line. There
are still some occasional blackouts, but it's mostly there. I'm still
searching for a better southern hemisphere (au/nz/za) source, though.

* ADDRESS MAPPING. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=address
I've had the ability to map waypoints by street address for a while
now, but I keep enhancing it to try to compensate for badly-entered
data, ZIP-codes-with-no-address, etc. There's also a new "address
converter" form for finding the coordinates of addresses without
drawing a map (there's a link to it on the page listed above).

By the way, there is SOME support for mapping addresses outside the
U.S., but I make no guarantees.

* MORE PROFILE PARAMETERS. You can now set an arbitrary minimum and
maximum value for the y-axis of a profile (elevation, speed, etc.).
This should make it easier to compare one profile to another, and it
lets you get nice round numbers on the axis. Coming soon: the
ability to set the spacing between the gridlines in terms of meters,
feet, mph, etc. (And maybe some enhancements to the x-axis.)

* REMOTE FILE TRANSMISSION. I don't know what to call this feature;
perhaps "remote file transmission" is not quite right. Basically,
you can transmit the contents of any GPS data file from your site
directly to GPS Visualizer, and get a map. (Before, this was only
possible with small handfuls of waypoints.) This will make it
easier for other sites -- or even off-line programs -- to "partner"
with GPS Visualizer; you can easily enable some sort of "click here
to see a map of these points" feature. Co-branding is possible too.
Contact me for details.

If you haven't even heard of GPS Visualizer before, please drop by and
check it out at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/. It's free, platform-
independent (it only requires Adobe's free SVG Viewer plug-in), and it
supports many, many GPS data file formats.

Adam Schneider
adamschneider.net

..
Old January 11th 05, 10:49 PM
GeoBC

That's pretty cool, Adam. I will have to give your application a try
some time.