Weird Experimental Certificate wording - Normal?

Old January 6th 05, 07:02 PM
Noel Luneau

Default Weird Experimental Certificate wording - Normal?

I have an ASW-17 and the aircraft is registered under
an experimental certificate and has special operating
limitations.
They read, in part, 'All flights shall be conducted
within the geographic area described as follows: Within
300 mile radius of a sanctioned glider meet or contest.
Profficiency flights may be conducted in the vicinity
of fly-ins or airshows.'

Is this common for Experimental Certificates for our
sailplanes?

Thanks,

Noel

Old January 7th 05, 12:18 AM

I own a Russia and that is the wording that my certificate has. I send
a letter to FSDO each spring listing where I plan on flying outside of
that 300 mile limit. Easy to do when I can fax the letter.

Larry Johnson

Old January 7th 05, 12:19 AM
jphoenix

The current FAA Order 8130.2F has the following boilerplate for ops
limitations issued to gliders under experimental, exhibition and
racing:

8130.2F 11/5/2004
Page 178
(34) All proficiency/practice flights must be conducted within the
geographical area described
in the applicant's program letter and any modifications to that
letter, but that area will not be more than
300 nautical miles from the aircraft's home base airport. Proficiency
flights are limited to a nonstop
flight that begins and ends at the aircraft's home base airport. An
alternate airport selection is not
permitted for this aircraft. However, an exception is permitted for
proficiency flying outside of the area
stated above for organized formation flying, training, or pilot
checkout in conjunction with a specific
event listed in the applicant's program letter (or amendments). The
program letter should indicate the
location and dates for this proficiency flying.
(Applicability: Group IV)

(35) Proficiency flights are authorized without geographical
restrictions when conducted in
preparation for participation in sanctioned meets and pursuant to
qualify for Federal Aeronautique
International (FAI) or Soaring Society of America (SSA) awards. These
flights may only take place as
defined in the applicant's program letter, and prior to the specific
FAI or SSA event. The pilot in
command must submit a description of the intended route and/or
geographical area intended to be flown
to the local FSDO.
(Applicability: Group I, gliders only)

So, it looks like your Ops Limitations were kind of messed up a bit, or
were issued a while back. See your local FSDO for corrected or updated
limitations. You can access the 8130.2F online by going to faa.gov and
searching for 8130.2F or search for Orders.

Jim

Old January 7th 05, 12:30 AM
Mark Zivley

Sure would be nice if the SSA could lobby the FAA to eliminate the
requirement for program letters for gliders that are factory built, if
not all experimental gliders.

Enlighten me please, what's the point beyond "it's just the rule,
dumb..." or "it's always been this way" or etc.

Seems like it would save the FAA some $$ in not having to deal with the
letters coming in and we'd not have to submit them. Why do they care
where we might go fly? Besides all that, there is no enforcement for
all practical purposes.

Mark

Old January 7th 05, 03:12 AM
Michael McNulty

"Mark Zivley" wrote in message
om...
Sure would be nice if the SSA could lobby the FAA to eliminate the
requirement for program letters for gliders that are factory built, if not
all experimental gliders.

Enlighten me please, what's the point beyond "it's just the rule, dumb..."
or "it's always been this way" or etc.

The "Experimental" certification that most US gliders have is explicitly,
for the purpose of "Exhibition and Racing". Given this fact, it seems
reasonable to me that the FAA might ask us to substantiate that this is in
fact what we are doing with these aircraft. (Remember, we never go for
"pleasure flights" in these aircraft; we are maintaining proficiency for our
exhibition and racing activities).

Given that the annual program letter takes about five minutes to prepare and
send in, I think that we've got the best side in this deal. Please don't
rock the boat; if the FAA really wants to cut down on their workload, my
fear is that they could eliminate the "Experimental, Exhibition and Racing"
category altogether. Those who really object to the program letter can
always buy an aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate.

By the way, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that
homebuilts (Experimental, Amateur Built airworthiness) have a program letter
requirement. They do have other restrictions, however.

Also, thanks for reminding me to submit my 2005 program letter.

Old January 7th 05, 05:45 AM
Jim Phoenix

Yes, they do have a program letter. All experimentals do - except for some
"show compliance" experimental certificates. See excerpt from the 8130.2F:

11/5/2004 8130.2F
Page 161

153. ISSUANCE OF EXPERIMENTAL AMATEUR-BUILT OPERATING LIMITATIONS.

etc., etc.

At the FSDO, your Ops Limitations come from a boilerplate generator in the
computer. The Inspector simply fills in the variables in the Word template.
Any variation from the Order (8130.2F) must be justified and approved
through the FSDO and AVR chain of command. A lengthy and perhaps not always
successful endeavour I can tell you, unless you have some very good reason
for requesting what they call "non-standard language".

It has been done.

Jim.

snip

Old January 7th 05, 12:31 PM
Jim Phoenix

Also, because I did not answer the specific question - the experimental
amateur built do have a program letter requirement in phase 1. (The basis
for the program letter is in CFR 21.193)

Old January 8th 05, 03:45 PM
Mark Zivley

Look at what JJ submitted for his program letter. It's great that he's
not tied to anything, but it really doesn't say anything of value. My
point is why not eliminate the paperwork. I'm not trying to rock the
boat, but what practical information did the FAA get and they could have
elminated the hassle of receiving the letter and we'd not have to submit
them.

Old January 8th 05, 09:40 PM

Mark,
The paper work we have is a direct result of an accident where the
pilot of an experimental (exhibition & racing) licenced F-86, didn't
want to use the fuel it would take to taxi to the long runway, so he
used the short runway, went off the end, through a fence, across
Freeport Blvd and came to rest in an ice cream parlor, full of kids. A
gigantic hue and cry was heard, "Let's shut down these nuts flying
those EXPERIMENTAL things". I don't mind sending in a couple of program
letters, if it means we can continue to fly our birds.
JJ