2-33

Old September 16th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Smith[_2_]

Default 2-33

The Harris Hill Soaring Corp. is fortunate to have 3 2-33s, 4 ASK 21s,
a 1-26, a 1-34, a single place Discus & a Duo. Our juniors are trained
in the 2-33, & they then progress to the higher performance ships.
I've not seen any resistance on their part to learning to fly in the
2-33.

Former HHSC Juniors now fly for the USAF, American Airlines, Fedex,
Corning Corp. & who knows what else - lots of our members have become
aviation professionals.

We typically have 30-40 juniors. They don't seem to mind that the 2-33
doesn't look "cool."

They also don't seem to be at a disadvantage with respect to contest
soaring because they started out in a 2-33. We train top notch cross
country & contest pilots.

Having said all that, I learned to fly in a Blanik L-13. Nice glider,
wish it wasn't grounded.
Old September 16th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Mc Elligott

On Sep 15, 8:22*pm, Peter Smith wrote:

We typically have 30-40 juniors.

Peter - that's fantastic. How do you attract and keep that many?

Old September 16th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 15, 6:50*pm, Terry Mc Elligott wrote:
On Sep 15, 8:22*pm, Peter Smith wrote:

We typically have 30-40 juniors.

Peter - that's fantastic. How do you attract and keep that many?

how many show up on a typical weekend day?

Brad
Old September 16th 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Liam

I learned to fly in a 2-22 and 2-33. I have some warm feelings for
the 2-22, but the 2-33 is just a ****ty glider, people should stop
making excuses for it.
Old September 16th 10, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We typically have 30-40 juniors.

Peter - that's fantastic. How do you attract and keep that many?

Don't want to speak for Peter, but maybe flying low performance,
affordable aircraft that enables a rating without a second mortgage
has something to do with it.

And of course, perhaps the glassholes dissing older trainers that may
not produce the latest champions are flying somewhere else...

Aerodyne
Old September 16th 10, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

On Sep 15, 10:45*pm, wrote:

Sounds like Harris Hill has an excellent and well rounded fleet for
people to work through. Many of us in smaller clubs are not so
fortunate and the top of the line is or was an L-13. Having those
next step aircraft available seems key to me in retaining members or
driving them down the road to ownership. Give them a taste of things
to come with an incentive ride in a Duo or K21 or anything that is
smooth, well handled and quiet and I think you stand a better chance
at them sticking with soaring and progressing their skills. That's my
primary argument for quality glass dual ships.

What percentage of club members show up on any given weekend during
the soaring season? Also, how big is the club?

There are many things that are out of our control. The weather, our
location relative to population centers, but if your club has managed
to find such successful ways of attracting and retaining members I'd
encourage or even beg you to share that info. It's certainly more
useful use of keyboard time than blamestorming around which glider we
should hold responsible for the success/failure of soaring.

Old September 16th 10, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 15, 7:50*pm, Terry Mc Elligott wrote:
On Sep 15, 8:22*pm, Peter Smith wrote:

We typically have 30-40 juniors.

Peter - that's fantastic. How do you attract and keep that many?

Harris Hill Juniors do much to run the place. I will add that six of
the ten are 501c(3) charitable chapters, which helps but is not
necessary. SCOH has some CAP involvement. TSA has a learn while you
earn scholarship.

Your SSA Top Ten Youth Chapters as of 9/1/2010

Name Total Youth
Caesar Creek Soaring Club 249 43
Finger Lakes Soaring Club Inc. 51 10
Greater Boston Soaring Club 123 17
Greater Houston Soaring Assoc 113 17
Harris Hill Soaring Corp. 144 33
Mid-Atlantic Soaring Assoc. 118 10
Sky Soaring, Inc. 108 15
Soaring Club of Houston 199 29
Texas Soaring Association 196 16
Valley Soaring Club, Inc. 99 24

SSA had 435 youth members at the beginning of the month. Nearly 10%
are in one chapter.

Frank Whiteley
Old September 16th 10, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Sep 15, 10:45*pm, wrote:

And of course, perhaps the glassholes dissing older trainers that may
not produce the latest champions are flying somewhere else...

Aerodyne

Have you looked closely at your club/FBO's finances?

In almost all circumstances that I've seen, the yearly operating &
maintenance costs of a glider are FAR surpassed by the costs of
maintaining tow-planes. 1 year of hangar costs, fuel, insurance,
maintenance, repairs, and reserve funds for a towplane are likely to
dwarf even a couple-thousand-dollar AD on a glider!

Admittedly, I've only been in the sport for a few years... But I
firmly believe that a better club glider does not have to equate to
dramatically higher club fees.

--Noel

Old September 16th 10, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Admittedly, I've only been in the sport for a few years... *But I
firmly believe that a better club glider does not have to equate to
dramatically higher club fees.

Well, except for when the club has to pay for the better the glider...
Old September 16th 10, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

This agrees with experience at VSC.
(3) 2-33's
(2) 1-26's
(1) 1-34
(1) ASK-21
It is a real benefit to have gliders to look forward to progressing
to.
UH