Save the Mustangs?

Old August 25th 05, 11:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Save the Mustangs?

So, after our long, drawn out thread (last month) about whether P-51
Mustangs should be flown, only kept on static display, and/or are worth
saving for future generations, it turns out to all be a moot point -- these
guys are gonna build new ones!

http://www.fighterfactory.com/

I wonder if they're going to manufacture new Merlin engines, too?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 26th 05, 01:31 AM
No Such User

In article 82sPe.279071$x96.34814@attbi_s72, Jay Honeck wrote:

http://www.fighterfactory.com/

I wonder if they're going to manufacture new Merlin engines, too?

....or 130 octane fuel?

Old August 26th 05, 02:35 AM
Dudley Henriques

"No Such User" wrote in message
In article 82sPe.279071$x96.34814@attbi_s72, Jay Honeck wrote:

http://www.fighterfactory.com/

I wonder if they're going to manufacture new Merlin engines, too?

...or 130 octane fuel?

With 100, take off MP is reduced to 45 inches from the normal 61 as it is.
If they bring back 80 again, we'll probably have to drop the damn things
from a mother ship and start them in a dive!!
:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Dudley Henriques

Old August 26th 05, 03:29 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
ink.net...

"No Such User" wrote in message
In article 82sPe.279071$x96.34814@attbi_s72, Jay Honeck wrote:

http://www.fighterfactory.com/

I wonder if they're going to manufacture new Merlin engines, too?

...or 130 octane fuel?

With 100, take off MP is reduced to 45 inches from the normal 61 as it is.
If they bring back 80 again, we'll probably have to drop the damn things
from a mother ship and start them in a dive!!
:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Dudley Henriques

My understanding is that 100 octane was the best available at the beginning
of WWII, and due to capacity limitations on the high test stuff, 100 octane
was the standard fuel for most of the bomber force in Europe during the war,
while the fighters got the higher octane stuff. In this area, the allies
had a huge advantage over the Axis, which relied on lower octane brews.

Bottom line, Merlins run fine on 100LL, but can generate much more power on
130 octane. Fortunately, the extra power isn't as necessary today, because
Mustangs are flown at much lower weights today than they were during the
war.

KB

Old August 26th 05, 04:00 AM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

I wonder if they're going to manufacture new Merlin engines, too?

The web page says no; they intend to use original engines and other systems.

George Patterson
Old August 26th 05, 04:02 AM
Jay Honeck

I wonder if they're going to manufacture new Merlin engines, too?

The web page says no; they intend to use original engines and other
systems.

Well, they're either not planning on selling too many, or there are a whole
BUNCH of Merlin engines out there that I haven't heard about.

I thought they were in short supply?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 26th 05, 04:24 AM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Well, they're either not planning on selling too many, or there are a whole
BUNCH of Merlin engines out there that I haven't heard about.

Perhaps you should actually *read* that page? They say they intend to make 10
planes.

George Patterson
Old August 26th 05, 05:28 AM
Morgans

"George Patterson" wrote

The web page says no; they intend to use original engines and other

systems.

I had read that there are no machines left that are capable of machining new
crankshafts. True?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 26th 05, 12:18 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:58:12 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

So, after our long, drawn out thread (last month) about whether P-51
Mustangs should be flown, only kept on static display, and/or are worth
saving for future generations, it turns out to all be a moot point -- these
guys are gonna build new ones!

http://www.fighterfactory.com/

I wonder if they're going to manufacture new Merlin engines, too?

Anybody know for sure if the Piper "Enforcer" (I think) down at WPAFM
was a re-worked existing P-51 or a Piper-built P-51?

TC