Lycoming Prop-Strike AD question

Old November 26th 05, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Lycoming Prop-Strike AD question

There is a CRANKSHAFT GEAR RETAINING BOLT AD 2004-10-14 effective June 25
2004, pertaining to certain types of Lycoming engines, which redefines
"prop-strike" and states:

"(e) Compliance with this AD is required as indicated before further flight
if the engine experiences a propeller strike after the effective date of
this AD, as defined in paragraphs (i) and (j) of this AD. "

Crazy as it appears, there is some disagreement amongst some of us whether
this AD demands

1. replacement of the retaining bolt & lockplate after the effective date of
the AD on ALL "prop-strikes" -as newly defined- occuring BEFORE&AFTER the AD
or whether the AD demands only

2. replacement of the retaining bolt & lockplate ONLY on "prop-strikes"- as
newly defined- occuring AFTER the effective date of the AD.

Does anyone have experience or information to clarify this for me? My
interpretation is (2).

Thanks,

Tien

(Posted on rec.aviation.owning as well)

Old November 26th 05, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"(e) Compliance with this AD is required as indicated before further flight
if the engine experiences a propeller strike after the effective date of
this AD, as defined in paragraphs (i) and (j) of this AD. "

To me, this parses as "if, after the effective date... a prop strike
occurs... comply with this AD." To attempt to parse it the other way
would require some violence to the sentence - to wit...

"(e) Compliance with this AD is required { as indicated before further
flight if the engine experiences a propeller strike } after the
effective date of this AD, as defined in paragraphs (i) and (j) of this
AD. "

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 26th 05, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

AFTER the effective date..........when the more stringent elements of
sudden stoppage occur under this revised AD. AD 91-14-22 has been in
effect for quite some time that required the replacement anyway, but
under less defining conditions of sudden stoppage. AD 04-10-14C1
supersedes the old AD.

04-10-14 C1

2004-10-14 LYCOMING ENGINES (FORMERLY TEXTRON LYCOMING):
( c o r r e c t i o n )
Amendment 39-13644. Docket No. 89-ANE-10-AD.
Supersedes AD 91-14-22, Amendment 39-6916.

TDATA NOTE: The FAA issued a correction to this AD. Some
corrections to
engine models have been made by adding missing
dashes,
clarification to changes in requirements from the
proposed rule
are made, and some corrections are made for clarification
in the
compliance section. In all other respects, the original
document
remains the same. This copy reflects the correction.

EFFECTIVE DATE

(a) This AD becomes effective June 25, 2004.

AFFECTED ADS

(b) This AD supersedes AD 91-14-22.

APPLICABILITY

(c) This AD applies to Lycoming Engines (formerly Textron Lycoming),
direct
-drive reciprocating engines (except O-145, O-320-H, O-360-E,
LO-360-E,
LTO-360-E, TO-360-E, O-435, and TIO-541 series engines).

UNSAFE CONDITION

(d) This AD results from a change to the definition of a propeller
strike or
sudden stoppage. The actions specified in this AD are
intended to
prevent loosening or failure of the crankshaft gear retaining
bolt,
which may cause sudden engine failure.

COMPLIANCE

(e) Compliance with this AD is required as indicated before further
flight
if the engine experiences a propeller strike after the effective
date of
this AD, as defined in paragraphs (i) and (j) of this AD.

(f) Inspect, and if necessary repair, the crankshaft counter bored
recess,
the alignment dowel, the bolt hole threads, and the crankshaft
gear
for wear, galling, corrosion, and fretting in accordance with
steps 1
through 5 of Lycoming Mandatory Service Bulletin (MSB) No. 475C,
dated
January 30, 2003.

(g) Remove the existing gear retaining bolt and lockplate from
service, and
install a new bolt and lockplate, in accordance with steps 6
and 7 of
Lycoming MSB No. 475C, dated January 30, 2003.

PROHIBITION OF RETAINING BOLT AND LOCKPLATE

(h) Do not install the gear retaining bolt and lockplate that were
removed
in paragraph (g) of this AD, into any engine.

DEFINITION OF PROPELLER STRIKE

(i) For the purposes of this AD, a propeller strike is defined as
follows:

(1) Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, that
requires
repair to the propeller other than minor dressing of the blades.

(2) Any incident during engine operation in which the propeller
impacts a
solid object that causes a drop in revolutions per minute
(RPM) and
also requires structural repair of the propeller (incidents
requiring
only paint touch-up are not included). This is not
restricted to
propeller strikes against the ground.

(3) A sudden RPM drop while impacting water, tall grass, or similar
yielding
medium, where propeller damage is not normally incurred.

(j) The preceding definitions include situations where an
aircraft is
stationary and the landing gear collapses causing one or more
blades to
be substantially bent, or where a hanger door (or other
object)
strikes the propeller blade. These cases should be handled as
sudden
stoppages because of potentially severe side loading on the
crankshaft
flange, front bearing, and seal.

ALTERNATIVE METHODS OF COMPLIANCE

(k) The Manager, New York Aircraft Certification Office, has the
authority
to approve alternative methods of compliance for this AD if
requested
using the procedures found in 14 CFR .

MATERIAL INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE

(l) You must use Lycoming MSB No. 475C, dated January 30, 2003, to
perform
the inspections and repairs required by this AD. The Director
of the
Federal Register approved the incorporation by reference of this
service
bulletin in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51.
You can
get a copy from Lycoming Engines, 652 Oliver Street,
Williamsport,
PA 17701, U.S.A; telephone (570) 323-6181; fax (570)
327-7101. You
can review copies at the FAA, New England Region, Office
of the
Regional Counsel, 12 New England Executive Park, Burlington,
MA; or
at the National Archives and Records Administration
(NARA). For
information on the availability of this material at NARA, call
202-741
-6030, or go to:

http://www.archives.gov/federal_regi...egulations/ibr
_locations.html.

RELATED INFORMATION

(m) None.

Issued in Burlington, Massachusetts, on May 12, 2004. Peter A. White,
Acting
Manager, Engine and Propeller Directorate, Aircraft Certification
Service.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Norm Perenson, Aerospace Engineer,
New York
Aircraft Certification Office, FAA, 1600 Stewart Avenue, Suite
410,
Westbury, NY 11590; telephone (516) 228-7337; fax (516) 794-5531.

Old November 26th 05, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

just replace the dang bolt... it's an easy fix and well worth the effort..
On our Pawnee, O-540 we did not even have to lift the engine off the mounts.
It is easier than telling a widow.. we chose not to replace a $200 bolt that
holds the crankshaft in place because the "prop strike" was before the date
of the AD.

But seriously... if there was a prop strike 5 years before and you complied
with previous instructions (before this AD) and all is well.. then why
worry. IT is a 2004 AD so you've been flying on that bolt at least a year..
unless this engine has been sitting idle the whole year.

Also, there was an earlier AD that required inspection and replacement of
this same bolt "just in case" your engine had one of the "bad batch" of
bolts that was out in the marketplace.
BT

. ..

Old November 26th 05, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"BTIZ" wrote in message
just replace the dang bolt... it's an easy fix and well worth the effort..
On our Pawnee, O-540 we did not even have to lift the engine off the

mounts.

Really?

What the f--- do I know. The 2 mechanics at the pre-purchase inspection
told me the 0-320-E2D engine on a Cardinal 177 1968 would have to be removed
and shipped to an engine shop to have the bolt and plate removed and
replaced.

Tien

Old November 26th 05, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tien Dao wrote:
/snip/ The 2 mechanics at the pre-purchase inspection
told me the 0-320-E2D engine on a Cardinal 177 1968 would have to be removed
and shipped to an engine shop to have the bolt and plate removed and
replaced.

Tien

Tien,

Run, don't walk, away from that shop! Not only is it blatantly obvious
that the AD does NOT apply to that engine, in this case, but even if you
did want to go ahead and replace the bolt, it's a rudimentary procedure.
Any *competent* mechanic can accomplish this on the plane, in about a
day. I recommend you find a different mechanic/shop for your future needs.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old November 26th 05, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Scott Skylane" wrote in message
Run, don't walk, away from that shop!

I`m gone! Thanks for the validation!

Tien

Old November 28th 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"BTIZ" wrote in message
it needs to be replaced because the cardinal had a prop strike?

Yup. So bad that they trashed the prop and got a new one but didn`t tear
down the engine to check the crankshaft, gears bolts and all. No wonder. It
is due to guys like this that we read of engine failures, "accidents" and
fatalities giving the companies and FAA more reason to pile on more AD`s
that punish the guys who did a good job and followed the previous AD`s in
the first place.

Engine Balancing and Resonance Vibration Problem AllanFuller Owning 13 September 12th 05 12:51 AM
my ignorance LCT Paintball Home Built 25 April 9th 05 06:54 PM
Sensenich Wood Prop Question [email protected] Owning 3 April 4th 05 02:32 PM
Lycoming 0-360 factory overhaul core charges - Does Air Powertell the truth ? Mike Spera Owning 6 December 13th 04 01:13 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM