Flying in the Presidents Airspace

Old March 11th 04, 09:56 PM
PaulaJay1

Default Flying in the Presidents Airspace

Story of my flight yesterday from I64 to KCAK (about 50 nm).

Taking the plane to G-Force at Akron Canton to get the 330 transponder
installed. Want to leave Wakeman at noon. Well, our president is visiting
Cleveland so there is a TFR for thirty mile radius, flight plan required and
individual squawk code required from ground to ground. So I filed IFR in CAVU
weather (unusual for this area at this time of year). Wakeman is about 29
miles out and CAK is about 35 miles out and the direct route closest point is
about 15 miles.

Takes about 5 minutes to get a void time and I enter controlled air space "on a
180 vector". Direct I64 to CAK is 124 deg. I immediately get a vector to the
Akron VOR and "climb to 5000". This route (about 110 deg) takes me about 12
miles south of CLE - the place I thought we were trying to avoid - and about 15
miles north of CAK. I ask three different times for direct CAK and got a can't
do due to flight restrictions. Akron Approach just before ACO puts me on a 190
vector for traffic and flys me about 5 miles south of the airport before
starting me on an ILS approach to 01 (remember it is still CAVU). Finally when
set up on the approach and about 4 miles out, I am cleared for the visual.
Total distance of about 90 miles.

So much for my keeping our president safe!!!

Chuck

Old March 12th 04, 05:03 AM
Teacherjh

You're saying that flying IFR in the vicinity of a large TFR, at a
high-volume time of day, in higher-than-usual volume because everyone
has to fly IFR, took longer than usual. You're shocked and stunned by
this, and you're complaining.

Let me ask you this: Are you an idiot?

I won't speak for him, but I suspect that one reason he is "complaining" is
that if nobody "complaines" then the problem gets worse. We all know that the
fellows who came up with the TFR things are... well.... challenged.

Perhaps he should complain to "the right people" rather than the converted.
But that's a different issue (and we don't know he hasn't)

Jose