An interesting experience

Old May 18th 04, 05:45 AM
Ian MacLure

Default An interesting experience

It having been some 32 years since my last ride in a heavy piston
aircraft ( CL-28 Argus MPA ) I decided to avail myself of the
opportunity to take a ride in a B24 this afternoon.
The Collings Foundation had brought their B17 and B24 to
Moffett Field and whilst it was a little steep ( $400/ 1/2 hour )
I figured what the hell.
Its noisy but not as much as I thought it would be.
Anyhow we took off and headed logically north up the Peninsula
toward San Francisco. Flew over Stanford, then to SFO where we did a
turn or two over the airport. By this time I had the tail turret to
myself as everyone else was in the waist maddly snapping pitures.
We continued "north" hung a left just above San Bruno Mtn and headed
towards the beach. Flew a little inland ( crossed 22nd and Irving,
coulda made life interesting for that guy shopping for fruit in front
of the market if the weapons had been functional ), across Golden Gate
park then out over Fort Mason to cross the Golden Gate Bridge at mid-
span circa 1200' ASL. Cranked and banked over Alcatraz, passed to the
West of downtown back over Ft Mason, then across the Peninsula to
Bayview, the Shipyard, a whip around San Bruno Mtn again about level
with its top, past the Stick, SFO again, East Palo Alto and into
the pattern for Moffet.
Probably something I'll never do again although the thought of a
B17 junket is also appealing and there are worse places to spend
one's tax refund.

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old May 18th 04, 11:06 AM
M.H.Greaves

THAT,sounds like a load of fun! wish I'd have been there, (although,
probably couldn't afford to go airborne), sounds great!
One lucky guy!
"Ian MacLure" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.uncensored-news.com
The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old May 18th 04, 11:07 PM
Marc Reeve

--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is