FLARM - No GPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 24th 16, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FLARM - No GPS

It worked fine last time I flew but today, it was stuck on the startup
screen with 0 Satellites showing. I cycled the power a couple of times
with no effect. Both my ClearNav vario and my Dell Streak were both
receiving good GPS locks. The Streak reported 8 satellites.

The PF Portable had been stuck on my glare shield using Dual Lok
fasteners but, a few days ago I fabricated an aluminum plate to bolt the
portable to and then screw the plate to the glare shield. That should
make no difference, but I thought I would tell all.

Being new to this, I have no idea where or how to look for faults. The
PF receives switched power from the DC bus. It has 3 antennae hooked to
it, and its serial port is connected to one of the inputs of a
K6BT-Mux. The other input of the Mux is connected to the serial output
of the CN vario. The Bluetooth radio transmits to the Dell Streak
running XCSoar. On the Streak, I can monitor the interface traffic out
of the Mux. I saw sentences from the Flarm and the ClearNav vario. The
data stream from the CNv had good GPS information and the $PF sentences
appeared to have zeros instead of position data. That would agree with
the startup screen.

It's my understanding that, absent a good GPS signal of its own, the PF
portable should use the GPS data from the vario.

Can anyone offer any advice?
--
Dan, 5J