Source for tail wheels

Old May 22nd 05, 08:59 PM

Simon wrote:
I've visited plenty of these stores (in as much as that is possible

in
Switzerland!) but all the new wheels I've found have plastic hubs -

I'm
looking for rmetal. I found one used metal one - with a hard rubber

tyre
but no maker's mark - which is doing fine so far.

Plastic didn't last a season last year

Mine have lasted 4 seasons landing on hard dirt and pavement strips,
and I practice low-energy landings (read - tail first). Not sure if
the hubs are metal or plastic (don't have a wheel at hand) but I think
they are metal, with two press-in sealed bearings and a metal axle.

Again, I specifically looked for "hockey" wheels, which are probably
stronger than the average rollerblade wheels.

I now fly off a grass strip, and the wheel/skid combo is still working
great.

Anyway, good luck and happy soaring.

Kirk
66

Old May 25th 05, 04:05 AM

My glider came with a new spare wheel which is now installed but it
should last many seasons. I haven't attempted to purchase a Darnell
wheel but I was planning to use the distributor contact information on
their homepage at http://www.darnell-rose.com/ and go from there.

Steve