SSA Contest Starting on Friday???

Old May 26th 05, 01:26 AM
Kilo Charlie

Default SSA Contest Starting on Friday???

US folks....anyone seen a regional contest begin with the practice day and
mandatory pilots meeting on a Friday with the first contest day on Saturday?

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix

Old May 26th 05, 03:31 AM
David Leonard

Kilo Charlie wrote:
US folks....anyone seen a regional contest begin with the practice day and
mandatory pilots meeting on a Friday with the first contest day on Saturday?

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix

No, except maybe a split weekend contest. Do you know one that is doing
that?

Dave Leonard
ZL
Old May 26th 05, 03:42 AM
Kilo Charlie

Region 9 in Hobbs that is due to begin in a few days has the practice day on
Friday June 3 along with the mandatory pilots meeting that evening and the
first contest day is Saturday June 4 then going for 7 contest days to the
following Friday.

In my relatively short racing career of 8 or so years I don't remember this
occuring and the practical matter is that I didn't arrange for the extra
time off in order to get there on time assuming that when they said June
4-10 it meant the practice day was on Saturday. In fact even though I know
that the rules state it can happen, I can't remember another 7 day
regionals! I hope that others don't get caught assuming the same.

Casey

Old May 26th 05, 03:52 AM
David Leonard

Kilo Charlie wrote:
Region 9 in Hobbs that is due to begin in a few days has the practice day on
Friday June 3 along with the mandatory pilots meeting that evening and the
first contest day is Saturday June 4 then going for 7 contest days to the
following Friday.

In my relatively short racing career of 8 or so years I don't remember this
occuring and the practical matter is that I didn't arrange for the extra
time off in order to get there on time assuming that when they said June
4-10 it meant the practice day was on Saturday. In fact even though I know
that the rules state it can happen, I can't remember another 7 day
regionals! I hope that others don't get caught assuming the same.

Casey

Funny, they told me a month or two ago when I asked specifically that
the practice day will be the 4th. Contest will be 5-10. Will have tow
planes available for practice on Friday the 3rd if you want to come in
early. Did they change the plan?
Old May 26th 05, 04:14 AM
Kilo Charlie

Funny, they told me a month or two ago when I asked specifically that
the practice day will be the 4th. Contest will be 5-10. Will have tow
planes available for practice on Friday the 3rd if you want to come in
early. Did they change the plan?

Not sure if the plan changed but in 3 different e-mails from the SSA office
there was apparently some confusion amongst them re when it would begin but
they made it clear in the final one that it was as stated above. I guess
that I'm still holding out for there being some continued confusion and that
the first contest day begins on Sunday.

Either way I'm headed to ALB to help the Arizona Soaring Association show
the Moriarty guys how real men fly gliders. OK to be PC....how real men and
women fly gliders.

Casey

Old May 26th 05, 04:18 AM
5Z

Hmm, guess a few more of us need to call to get the real scoop.

Too bad all contests can't have all the needed info posted online such
as http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/contest.htm

The contest details on the website for say, region 9, are quite useful
until now, when some details of dates and times would help us plan the
trip.

-Tom

Old May 26th 05, 05:45 PM
Kilo Charlie

I just got a phone message from the SSA that the Region 9 contest in Hobbs
will begin with a practice day on June 4 (Saturday) with the first contest
day being June 5 (Sunday). Hopefully this is there final decision!

Casey