Looking for a CFIG

Old June 17th 05, 11:51 PM
Terry

Michael wrote:
I believe the
FAA is the problem, not the solution. You believe in an honest,
responsible, and responsive FAA. I believe in the one the Inspector
General of the DOT saw (in the present rather than the hopeful future -
check it out here at http://www.avweb.com/pdf/brinell_report.pdf).

We really have no common ground.

There are literally thousands of FAA inspectors in the US. While this
story is sad, to imply that the totality of the FAA is the problem is
as bad a generalization as the one I made earlier. Some of my friends
that read this will not beleive me, as they know I am as harsh a critic
of the FAA as can be. The difference is, I have decided to work to
change it.

Unless we overthrow the government, the FAA is here to stay. If you
want to change it, you must engage it on its terms and push the rock up
the hill, even after it rolls back down. If you don't like the
qualifications of your examiner, take the test and work to get
appointed. If you think the PTS should test something that is not
currently tested, submit a well described change proposal. If you do
not like the current regulations, submit a change as detailed in Part
11. If you do not like the performance of your operations inspector as
detailed in that report, go up the chain--all the way to your
congressman, senator or president.

You are correct, we have no common ground. I try to be a better pilot
each day and use that to improve the instruction or examinations given.
If you really believe as you state, perhaps you should surrender and
turn in your certificates. After all, it is none too safe up there
with those I have trained or evaluated whether in a glider or a Boeing.

Terry

Old June 20th 05, 03:38 PM
Michael

There are literally thousands of FAA inspectors in the US. While this
story is sad, to imply that the totality of the FAA is the problem is
as bad a generalization as the one I made earlier.

I do not concur. This story reflects the cases where the affected
parties had the clout to have the Inspector General investigate. It is
revealing that in EVERY case the allegations against the FAA were fully
substantiated. Each stands proxy for hundreds where the victims had no
such clout. I once knew an honest and responsible FAA inspector. He
believed he could change the FAA as well. He didn't last. He also
didn't change it. It can't be done.

The FAA is indeed here to stay. Its airworthiness branch may yet
manage to wreck all of GA, but that's not part of this discussion. The
ops branch (which covers pilot and instructor testing and
certification) is not a major obstruction to flying. It's simply not
of any benefit. The certificate requirements may not be useful or
effective, but they're not onerous either. As long as we all
understand that just because someone is FAA certified to perform a
certain pilot or instructor operation doesn't mean he has the first
clue about it (something the insurance insdustry figured out a long
time ago), we can all use our best judgment and do whatever we feel is
necessary and proper in addition to the (meaningless but trivial) FAA
requirements. You can't fight city hall, but you can go on with your
business and largely ignore it.

You are correct, we have no common ground. I try to be a better pilot
each day and use that to improve the instruction or examinations given.

I too try to be a better pilot and instructor every day, and to
continuously improve the instruction I give. I simply know that the
FAA is no help in this regard, and never will be. Fortunately it's not
much of a hindrance either.

If you really believe as you state, perhaps you should surrender and
turn in your certificates. After all, it is none too safe up there
with those I have trained or evaluated whether in a glider or a Boeing.

Indeed no one is safe up there. Flying is not safe. Never has been,
and never will be. But the risk is worth the reward.

Michael