Infrequent flying & IFR currency

Old August 21st 03, 01:44 AM
Marty Ross

Thanks to everyone in the group for their sincere replies to this.

From the posts in this thread, I have considered two options I didn't think
of befo

1.) Just fly VFR only (as I did before I got my rating), until I plan a trip
where I want the option if flying in IMC, and do an IPC with a CFII to
prepare for it

2.) Become an instrument instructor

Though my current budget doesn't really have room for it, I like (2) best.
I asked my instructor about this, and he thinks I should do it. What he
recommended that surprised me, however, was to do the instrument-instructor
first, since he says it's easier than getting the CFI. What's up with
that??

"Marty Ross" wrote in message
et...
"Infrequent flying & IFR currency" - sounds like an oxymoron, I know.

I'm limiting my flying now due to lack of income (anyone have work for a
software developer?), yet would like to try to maintain my (recently
acquired) IFR currency.

I guess my best bet is to beg/borrow/steal/hire a safety pilot and shoot

an
approach or two (plus the other stuff) every month, in addition to

practice
in my home simulator, but I'm wondering what other wisdom/ideas I'll find
out there amongst y'all in the newsgroup.

Any tips, recommendations for keeping IFR currency as a non-owner on a
budget?

Old August 21st 03, 12:47 PM
Robert Moore

"Marty Ross" wrote
Though my current budget doesn't really have room for it, I like
(2) best. I asked my instructor about this, and he thinks I
should do it. What he recommended that surprised me, however,
was to do the instrument-instructor first, since he says it's
easier than getting the CFI. What's up with that??

Again, improper use of terminology rears its ugly head.
First...no such thing as a CFI, we're just Flight Instructors
now.

Second...."airplane-single engine" and "instrument airplane"
are ratings on a Flight Instructor Certificate.

Third....He should have said.."Get your Flight Instructor
Certificate with an Instrument Airplane rating before you get
the Airplane Single-Engine rating.

Forth....Yes, you can be qualified to teach instrument flying
without being qualified to teach private or commercial students.

Bob Moore
Flight Instructor, ASE-IA
Old August 22nd 03, 10:45 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Marty Ross" wrote in
et:

Interesting... There's no such thing as "CFI" or "CFII" anymore??

I guess I'll look into the curricula for all of these -- the "Flight
Instructor" certificate, and the "Instrument Airplane" and "Airplane
Single Engine" variants, as I understand you to be saying. Seems
strange (to me) that it would be easier to get the rating to teach
instrument flying than to teach private or commercial students.

Why? Presumably an instrument student is already competent to fly the
airplane, so you don't have to teach him to do that, just to fly
instruments.