Briefing an approach plate, especially while flying

Old March 10th 04, 12:45 PM
Roy Smith

(Andrew Sarangan) wrote:
Many charts say ADF required or DME required. This is sometimes
overlooked until the last minute.

You should have noticed that in your pre-flight planning. Mistakes like
that are common in training, where you're doing approach after approach,
but on a real flight, you really should look at the aproaches into your
destination (and alternate) before you even get in the airplane. It's
really embarrassing to get where you're going only to discover you can't
land because you can't fly any of the approaches.

This may sound obvious, but make sure that you are briefing the
correct chart. Around here we have many ILS Rwy 24, and I have had
students confuse one with another.

Yup. I watched a student do that last week (Hi, Evan!). POU has a
VOR-DME 6 and a VOR-DME 24. We were near the IAF for the 24 approach
when he called up NY Approach and asked for the "vectors to the VOR-DME
approach". He had the 6 plate out, and didn't realize there was also a
24 approach.

The controller gave us vectors to final (for 24), and while my student
did pick up on the fact that the vector we got didn't seem to make
sense, he didn't figure out what was going on. I think the controller
added to the confusion by saying something like "cleared VOR-DME
approach" without mentioning *which* VOR-DME approach it was.

I think the take-home lesson is that if something doesn't make sense
while flying an approach, don't just keep going hoping it'll fall into
place later. If you get a vector that seems wrong, ask the controller
what's going on.
Old March 10th 04, 12:59 PM
Mark Kolber

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:39:52 GMT, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Frequencies,
courses, altitudes, and the miss procedure are enough.

Yes, but FCAM doesn't make for a good mnemonic. ;]

Hmm... come to think of it, it's better than most.
Old March 10th 04, 02:20 PM
Peter R.

Michael ) wrote:

In fact, most of my IMC time was accumulated
flying for Angel Flight South Central. But I still can't understand
how you managed to rack up so much IMC time. It took me about 3 years
to rack up 75 hours of actual IMC, and I've been known to actively
seek it out.

South Central would be Texas, no? Aren't most of your clouds the type that
make nasty thunderstorms?

--
Peter

Old March 11th 04, 03:06 AM
Stan Gosnell

Peter R. wrote in
:

South Central would be Texas, no? Aren't most of your
clouds the type that make nasty thunderstorms?

Some, especially in spring and summer, but not necessarily most.
In the winter we get lots of relatively benign clouds. Texas
does cover a rather large area, though, and it varies somewhat
by region.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old March 11th 04, 03:49 PM
Michael

Peter R. wrote
South Central would be Texas, no? Aren't most of your clouds the type that
make nasty thunderstorms?

That's certainly true much of the year, but with a Stormscope it's
quite manageable. I can't recall the last time I scrubbed a flight
for T-storms.

I suspect, though, that much of the difference may be vertical
development. In my neck of the woods, a summer IFR flight of 2-3
hours might only involve 20 minutes in the soup, mostly in small
chunks.

Michael
Old March 11th 04, 07:06 PM
Ray Andraka

Peter,

I didn't mean at all to be inflammatory. I was just curious how you had amassed so
much actual in such a short time. I fly a '65 Cherokee Six. Solo in the winter I can
see climbs better than 1500 fpm, but in IMC I try to keep the climbs tame. Fully
loaded on a hot summer day, I often struggle to get 500 fpm. My flights tend to be
cross country, about 3 hours is typical, and more often than not it is only IMC on one
end. If I were to go up on an IFR day and fly approaches to the local airports, that
could easily boost my actual time considerably. PVD is about like HFD for weather,
although ours goes down before HFD often because of the proximity to the water. I
don't get much IMC in the winter because of the icing potential. I am envious of the
amount of flying you get to do. I've been averaging a bit over 100 hrs/yr. There
just aren't enough hours in the day or dollars in the bank to get much more than that.

--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950
email
http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 12th 04, 08:07 PM
Peter R.

Ray Andraka ) wrote:

I've been averaging a bit over 100 hrs/yr. There just aren't enough hours
in the day

Snip

I see why there aren't enough hours in your day, Mr. President!
Running a small business eats most of those hours up, I'd suspect.

--
Peter