New GNS 530 getting very hot - Is this normal ?

Old August 31st 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy N5804F[_1_]

Default New GNS 530 getting very hot - Is this normal ?

We just had a complete refit of our Piper Archers avionic stack and
collected it from the avionic installers.
We had a two hour flight back to our base and the new equipment performed
very well.
The only issue, is that the 530 got really hot and I wondered what
experience others have the GNS530 ?
I have asked the installers if this is normal.

So does your GNS530 get really hot ?

Thanks for all input,

--
Roy
Piper Archer N5804F

Old September 1st 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
jbskies

Roy N5804F wrote:
So does your GNS530 get really hot ?

Yes. When I touch the black frame over the GNS530 after a flight. You
can feel the heat. It is kind of hot. My GNS530 has been installed
for over 6 years, never had problem.

jbskies

Old September 1st 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Roy N5804F wrote:
snip
So does your GNS530 get really hot ?

Yes, and it's normal. It's a result of the backlighting. At night when
I manually turn the backlighting down to 250 or so, the face of the unit
is cool to the touch.

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old September 2nd 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Roy N5804F wrote:

So does your GNS530 get really hot ?

You may want to ask your avionics tech to investigate this to see if there
is anything that can be done to reduce the heat. Last year I discovered
my Garmin transponder, a GTX330, was getting too hot to touch and I
mentioned this to a local shop tech.

They took a look behind the glare shield and discovered that my avionics
cooling fan had one more available port so the hooked up a hose from the
fan to the transponder. In doing so, they were able to significantly
reduced the heat thrown off by the unit.

--
Peter

Lycoming O-540, "normal" CHT/EGT??? USA Owning 3 August 1st 05 08:00 AM
Normal voltage drop Robert M. Gary Owning 19 January 3rd 05 04:12 AM
Landing and T/O distances (Was Cold War ALternate Basing) Guy Alcala Military Aviation 3 August 13th 04 12:18 PM
Is ear-popping normal Piloting 9 April 24th 04 11:25 PM
Normal EGT - Very Low CHT markjen Owning 7 March 4th 04 01:54 PM