teaching emergency landings...How low do you go...

Old February 26th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

Default teaching emergency landings...How low do you go...

My first instructor liked to have me practice emergency landings over rural
Oregon. Although we observed basic airspace rules, we'd get down below
treetop levels, short final, maybe 100' or less before go around. Once, I
could see the startled expression on a farmer's face as he watched us. On a
couple of occasions, I thought we were actually going to land. Birds took
flight, etc. Subsequent instructors and examiners always called it "good"
well above that so we never got that low.

My question is, what would you say the lowest appropriate height AGL for
teaching student pilots about off-field emergency landings in, say, a C-152,
given the 500' rule? (We -definately- busted that in the case of the
farmer. The instructor even said so.)

-c
CP-ASEL-IA, CFI student

Old February 26th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 26, 6:02 pm, "gatt" wrote:
My first instructor liked to have me practice emergency landings over rural
Oregon. Although we observed basic airspace rules, we'd get down below
treetop levels, short final, maybe 100' or less before go around. Once, I
could see the startled expression on a farmer's face as he watched us. On a
couple of occasions, I thought we were actually going to land. Birds took
flight, etc. Subsequent instructors and examiners always called it "good"
well above that so we never got that low.

My question is, what would you say the lowest appropriate height AGL for
teaching student pilots about off-field emergency landings in, say, a C-152,
given the 500' rule? (We -definately- busted that in the case of the
farmer. The instructor even said so.)

-c
CP-ASEL-IA, CFI student

Times have changed and the ground folk are a bit more wary of
airplanes since 9/11.

N Numbers are easy to read when you can "read the farmer's
expression."

A better CFI ploy is to get acquainted with some private grass strip
owners and do some practice there. Students usually have no idea there
is an airfield "right down there."

Dan

Old February 26th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 26, 3:02*pm, "gatt" wrote:

My question is, what would you say the lowest appropriate height AGL for
teaching student pilots about off-field emergency landings in, say, a C-152,
given the 500' rule? * (We -definately- busted that in the case of the
farmer. *The instructor even said so.)

No, I would say about 5' rule. But i wouldn't do it where there were
people, structures, or vehicles in the area (cows don't count).

-robert, CFII
Old February 26th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

gatt wrote:
My first instructor liked to have me practice emergency landings over rural
Oregon. Although we observed basic airspace rules, we'd get down below
treetop levels, short final, maybe 100' or less before go around. Once, I
could see the startled expression on a farmer's face as he watched us. On a
couple of occasions, I thought we were actually going to land. Birds took
flight, etc. Subsequent instructors and examiners always called it "good"
well above that so we never got that low.

My question is, what would you say the lowest appropriate height AGL for
teaching student pilots about off-field emergency landings in, say, a C-152,
given the 500' rule? (We -definately- busted that in the case of the
farmer. The instructor even said so.)

I don't know about 'appropriate', but my
instructor had no problem with '50 with
no animals or people around.

Even better is to the ground. My instructor
loved to pull the power when we were within
gliding range of an airport with no traffic.
I flew it down all the way to wheel stop
several times that way.

Old February 26th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

gatt wrote:
My first instructor liked to have me practice emergency landings over rural
Oregon. Although we observed basic airspace rules, we'd get down below
treetop levels, short final, maybe 100' or less before go around. Once, I
could see the startled expression on a farmer's face as he watched us. On a
couple of occasions, I thought we were actually going to land. Birds took
flight, etc. Subsequent instructors and examiners always called it "good"
well above that so we never got that low.

My question is, what would you say the lowest appropriate height AGL for
teaching student pilots about off-field emergency landings in, say, a C-152,
given the 500' rule? (We -definately- busted that in the case of the
farmer. The instructor even said so.)

-c
CP-ASEL-IA, CFI student

There are three factors common to all forced landings;
1. Control of the aircraft (Fly the airplane)
2. Picking the right spot based on aircraft position, wind, and terrain.
3. Setting up for and flying the approach (obvious)

If these three factors are accomplished, for the purposes of instruction
and training, the actual touchdown can be assumed.

I NEVER advocate using the mixture and a stopped prop in forced landing
training. The reason for this should be obvious but I always mention it
just in case someone misses the point.
Taking into consideration the effects on glide from a stopped prop as
opposed to an idling engine, it doesn't take long to realize that
setting up ANY forced landing approach whether it be with an idling
engine or with the engine completely dead, requires setting up that
approach based on THE AVAILABLE VISUAL CUES as they relate to the
position of the aircraft at all times from the intended landing site.
Based on this single fact, it should be apparent that if a pilot is
flying the airplane properly, that pilot will be making the approach
based on WHATEVER THE REAL TIME VISUAL CUES are telling him/her. This
means that prop stopped or windmilling, a properly trained pilot will be
executing a forced landing approach compensating AUTOMATICALLY to
achieve a key position based on what the visual cues are telling them.
Considering this, there should NEVER be a need to pull the mixture on a
student. Doing this can easily turn a practice session into an actual
forced landing.
I advocate using the airport for power off approaches to sharpen the
ability to properly fly the airplane based on seeking a key position on
available visual cues. Doing it this way allows the actual landing as well.
Lastly, on selecting a field; this factor can be accomplished at any
time during a dual session locally or on a cross country with the
concentration on coupling the power off approaches practiced back at the
airport with the additional factors involved; flying the airplane and
the choice of the field.
These places chosen should be researched by the instructor for
suitability before they are used for this purpose.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 26th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Feb 26, 3:02 pm, "gatt" wrote:

My question is, what would you say the lowest appropriate height AGL for
teaching student pilots about off-field emergency landings in, say, a C-152,
given the 500' rule? (We -definately- busted that in the case of the
farmer. The instructor even said so.)

No, I would say about 5' rule. But i wouldn't do it where there were
people, structures, or vehicles in the area (cows don't count).

But horses do. Expensive, high vet bills
and easily spooked.
Old February 27th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Euan Kilgour

On Feb 27, 12:02 pm, "gatt" wrote:
My first instructor liked to have me practice emergency landings over rural
Oregon. Although we observed basic airspace rules, we'd get down below
treetop levels, short final, maybe 100' or less before go around. Once, I
could see the startled expression on a farmer's face as he watched us. On a
couple of occasions, I thought we were actually going to land. Birds took
flight, etc. Subsequent instructors and examiners always called it "good"
well above that so we never got that low.

My question is, what would you say the lowest appropriate height AGL for
teaching student pilots about off-field emergency landings in, say, a C-152,
given the 500' rule? (We -definately- busted that in the case of the
farmer. The instructor even said so.)

-c
CP-ASEL-IA, CFI student

I am fortunate enough to fly where there are designated low flying
zones. They are only used for a maximum of two aircraft conducting
dual training. The instructor decides how low you may fly depending on
your ability and the weather conditions. The local land owners all
agreed to it and although we make every effort to avoid buzzing their
stock most of the time they (the cows that is) are so used to low
flying planes they don't even bat an eyelid at you when you fly past.
As for how low have I gone, I'd say about 4-5 feet before the
instructor told me to go around. By that time I was ready to land
alright!
Old February 27th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_1_]

Well....

On my pre- check ride for my PPL, the instructor DID clear a field
that he knew was suitable (an abandoned runway/airstrip,) and when he
saw that I had chosen the right field, he said... NOTHING!!.

.......so I landed the sucker!

He pulled the power at 1000 agl so the choices were limited....

Then he said.. "NOW we get to check your soft field takeoff
procedure..."

Dave

Old February 27th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

gatt wrote:
around. Once, I could see the startled expression on a farmer's face
as he watched us.

I used to do that occassionally when by myself. After practicing some
manueuvers, or just messing around (used to love dropping down to a few
hundred feet and following the Missouri River west of Kansas City ,
knowing I hadn't really paid a lot of attention to surrounding terrian, I'd
back off the trottle and go for the best landing site. Once I had a really
good approach to a hay field and around 50' noticed the farmer was in the
field on his tractor, and had actually stopped to watch. I waved with a
thumbs up, he waved back, and I gave it the gas. Man - memories, circa
1968........

Old February 27th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
john

When I was getting checked on in a Cherokee, the instructor pulled the
power and said that I had lost the engine. After a few long seconds
of looking for an appropriate place he was kind enough to point out a
nice long flat piece of land we had overflown just before he pulled
the power. I made the turn and lined up for a "nice" engine out
landing. As we passed 200 feet I wondered when he was going to say
"go around." As I passed 100 feet, I decided I couldn't keep silent
any longer and asked if I should add power. His response was, "no,
you lost your engine." After doing a touch and go, (he finally
allowed me to "bring the engine back to life", I noticed on the climb
out that the "barn" at the end of the field was actually a hanger.
One of the best "engine out" experiences I have had.

John