Sources for retread tires??

Old November 11th 04, 05:59 PM
Jim Burns

The gross weight should be in the identification and specs section or page
of the Flight Manual that is specific to your airplane. It should have the
serial number of your plane on this page. It should also be listed in your
W&B section and may be indicated in the charts as an upper weight limit
line. Double check that the charts match the gross weight listed in the
specs. On ours, there is also an AD that gives us a "Zero Fuel" weight
lower than gross, I believe it's 4400 lbs meaning that with empty tanks we
can only load it to 4400 lbs, then the rest has to be fuel up to 5200.

Jim

"Louis L. Perley III" wrote in message
"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Thanks, I'm going to check the service manual for ours tonight to see if

it
mentions retreads. I ended up with Michelin tires, and like yours, the

8
plys were rated to 2550. My earlier post stating 2250 was slightly
dyslexic.

Jim

Any idea how to determine what the Gross Weight on the aircraft is? I
know that Piper made 4400, 4800, and 5200 pound models, and they aren't in
any specific serial number ranges as far as I can tell. It would appear

that
it depended on what was ordered at the time, and I've not seen any list of
what the various differences were so that I could make some sort of
determination that way. I've been searching, but have not yet been able to
determine anywhere what the gross weight is on my airframe.

--
Louis L. Perley III
N46000 - C152

---

Old November 11th 04, 08:03 PM
Jim Burns

I double checked our flight manual and everything below is correct in our
case. The front page lists the N number and serial number then states "for
serial numbers 27-2505 and above at 5200 lb gross weight", then the weight
and balance section lists all the weights includeing empty weight and
usefull load which add up to 5200 lbs.

I also checked the service manual dated 1981 and it does not mention retread
tires and only lists 8 ply tires for the mains, however lists 4 or 6 plys
for the nose, but the nose is a 6 inch tire. Maybe our Service Manual isn't
new enough, I'll have to check with our A&P.

YMMV
Jim

Old November 11th 04, 09:11 PM
John Galban

"Louis L. Perley III" wrote in message ...
I've been searching, but have not yet been able to
determine anywhere what the gross weight is on my airframe.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but doesn't your W&B documentation
list the gross weight? How else could you load it properly?

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old November 11th 04, 09:31 PM
Elwood Dowd

I've been searching, but have not yet been able to
determine anywhere what the gross weight is on my airframe.

One of the documents required to be in the aircraft is the weight and
balance sheet. I have usually found it in the pilot's operating
handbook, which must have records pertaining specifically to your airplane.
Old November 11th 04, 11:16 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Elwood Dowd wrote:

I've been searching, but have not yet been able to
determine anywhere what the gross weight is on my airframe.

One of the documents required to be in the aircraft is the weight and
balance sheet. I have usually found it in the pilot's operating
handbook, which must have records pertaining specifically to your airplane.

As has been extensively discussed in another current thread, there's no requirement
that the W&B be in the aircraft, and older planes will not have a POH. In fact, newer
planes won't either -- they have AFMs instead.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old November 24th 04, 04:48 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

Annual report is coming soon. I was told by my mechanic that retread tires
are not allowed in my Aztec according to the manual. They actually thought
that this was generally the case with all retractable gear aircraft. In
light of this, I am putting new tires on the mains. My aircraft also

allows
for either 7.00 x 6 in 6 or 8 ply, which I thought was interesting. I'll

be
putting on the 8 ply just to be safe (and the price isn't all that much
different either)

I see you've got a 1965 Aztec, I don't know what the gross weight is, but
our '66 can't use the 6 plys because they are only rated at 1900 lbs each,
or 3800 lbs total, the 8 plys are rated at 2250 each, 4500 lbs total. As
far as all retractable gear aircraft not being able to use retreads, that's
a myth as most retractable gear airplanes actually do use retreads ie. the
airlines. There is an FAA AC that advises when installing retreads on
retractable gear planes to do a gear swing and make sure they fit in the
wells and to be carefull that the sidewalls do not overswell do to heat
build up on take off runs. There is no mention of retread tires in our POH
or in the manual for the Cessna R182 we flew.

We still haven't found any retreads and have ordered new tires which will
provide us with good cases for future retreading.

I would recommend swinging the gear *every* time you change the tires. I
once bought a pair of 6.00x6 McRearys for my Johnson Rocket. One tire
would not fit inside one well but fit in the other. The other tire fit
inside both wells. I have used Thompson's retreads successfully -- it is
partly a matter of the case.