Soaring in the Swiss Alps

Old June 5th 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring in the Swiss Alps

Hi all,

I'll be in Switzerland (Lugano) from 6/20 through 6/23 and I'd love to
go soaring when I'm there.
Does anyone know of a site near enough to Lugano that I could go
soaring one day that I'm there (checkout w/instructor and rental)?

Thanks,

Dave

Old June 5th 09, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

It's decades since I spent much time in Ticino. There was a club on
the Aeroporto di Locarno, at the Eastern end of Lago Maggiore. A
glider wing sticking out of the ground at the end of the driveway was
a dead giveaway.
Jim
Old June 5th 09, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

The nearest is Locarno (LSZL), some 30km from Lugano
Homepage of the Gruppo Volo a Vela Ticino: http://www.gvvt.ch/

Somewhat farther away is Ambri (LSPM)
Homepage of the Gruppo Volo a vela Leventina: http://www.gvvl.ch/

Note that both operations are clubs, so it's not sure that you'll find
an instructor on working days. On the weekend it should be no problem to
fly with an instructor if you call them early enough, but I doubt that
it will be possible to rent a plane for solo flight.
Old June 5th 09, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pigro[_4_]

You might want to consider Italian clubs as well:
a) Varese: www.acao.it
b) Alzate Brianza: www.avl.it
are both within 30-40 min. diriving distance.

Aldo Cernezzi

Old June 6th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 5, 3:12*am, pigro wrote:
You might want to consider Italian clubs as well:
a) Varese:www.acao.it
b) Alzate Brianza:www.avl.it
are both within 30-40 min. diriving distance.

Aldo Cernezzi

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 20:38:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Hi all,

I'll be in Switzerland (Lugano) from 6/20 through 6/23 and I'd love to
go soaring when I'm there.
Does anyone know of a site near enough to Lugano that I could go
soaring one day that I'm there *(checkout w/instructor and rental)?

Thanks,

Dave

Great - Thanks guys!! I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

Fly safe,

Dave