Bush's Flight Instructor Speaks Up (Ref--F-102 Air Refueling Setup)

Old February 10th 04, 03:24 AM
Kevin Brooks

Default Bush's Flight Instructor Speaks Up (Ref--F-102 Air Refueling Setup)

"RENABORNEY" wrote in message
STR reading that a total of two F-102's were lost in combat operations,

one of
which occured over NVN. l). I have not heard that it was used as an air
superiority fighter per se (kind of lacked the legs for that).

SNIP

The one lost over NVN was the one I meant when I referred to use as an air
superiority fighter - my impression was that it was lost on a MIGCAP
mission....
And it might noy have been a MIG, maybe a SAM got it...

As for legs - isn't that what tankers are for? (At least some Deuces were
modifed with this capability in the Sixties)

I don't know what the full story is regarding air refueling. Yes, the F-102
could refuel using the hose and drogue method, but I don't know whether the
probe was a pop-out type, or a fixed attachment. After going over a fair
number of photos, I can't see any external evidence of permanently affixed
probe, but then again most of the danged phots available on the web are
either from too far away or of the left side of the aircraft (the probe was
located on the right side of the fuselage near the cockpit). If it was
fixed, then none of the photos I found of the Vietnam deployed aircraft
(including one nasty victim of a VC sapper attack at Danang) showed them
attached. There used to be an F-102 pilot that hung around here RAM; he
might be able to answer the question.

Brooks

Old February 10th 04, 03:32 AM
Mike Marron

"Kevin Brooks" wrote:

I don't know what the full story is regarding air refueling. Yes, the F-102
could refuel using the hose and drogue method, but I don't know whether the
probe was a pop-out type, or a fixed attachment. After going over a fair
number of photos, I can't see any external evidence of permanently affixed
probe, but then again most of the danged phots available on the web are
either from too far away or of the left side of the aircraft (the probe was
located on the right side of the fuselage near the cockpit). If it was
fixed, then none of the photos I found of the Vietnam deployed aircraft
(including one nasty victim of a VC sapper attack at Danang) showed them
attached. There used to be an F-102 pilot that hung around here RAM; he
might be able to answer the question.

Walt BJ is still around and he flew the F-102.

Old February 10th 04, 04:52 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

I don't know what the full story is regarding air refueling. Yes, the

F-102
could refuel using the hose and drogue method, but I don't know whether

the probe was a pop-out type, or a fixed attachment.

It was fixed and temporary. I could post some photos to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation if you're interested.

Old February 10th 04, 04:56 AM
Tex Houston

[...]

Extracted from: http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f102_1.html

The F-102A was not equipped at the factory for midair refuelling. However,
there were some examples of the F-102A that were fitted in the field with
probe and drogue inflight-refuelling probes mounted immediately aft of the
cockpit on the right-hand side of the fuselage. These were fitted for the
purpose of ferrying aircraft from the US to Southeast Asia. The probes were
removed upon arrival. Some ANG F-102As were also fitted with these midair
refuelling probes.

This was also as I remembered hearing it from a friend of my who was on one
of the early F-102 fighter drags to SEA.

Tex

Old February 10th 04, 05:44 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

I don't know what the full story is regarding air refueling. Yes, the

F-102
could refuel using the hose and drogue method, but I don't know whether

the probe was a pop-out type, or a fixed attachment.

It was fixed and temporary. I could post some photos to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation if you're interested.

No, that's OK. You just confirmed my suspicion.

Brooks

Old February 10th 04, 05:45 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

[...]

I thought that was how it worked, but I was not sure. Thanks.

Brooks

Old February 11th 04, 06:01 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"Kevin Brooks" writes:

[...]

The F-102 probe was a pretty ugly thing, with a pretty hefty-looking
truss supporting teh front, and a feedline running almost the entire
length of the fuselage. Apparently it was pretty draggy, and distubed
the airflow around the tail. The probes were used during the
trans-Pacific deployment of the 64th and 82nd FISs when they were sent
out in '66, adn removed after arrival.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Logging approaches Ron Garrison Instrument Flight Rules 109 March 2nd 04 06:54 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
us air force us air force academy us air force bases air force museum us us air force rank us air force reserve adfunk Jehad Internet Military Aviation 0 February 7th 04 05:24 AM