David Clarke Reviews

Old April 18th 04, 01:21 AM
Paul

Default David Clarke Reviews

Hi

I am a student pilot hoping to take my checkride within the next month
(PPL/A).

I am after a David Clarke Headset but am not sure which one to buy.
Does anyone know of a good website that has independent reviews on all the
Dave Clarke models, the only reviews I can find are either on the David
Clarke website or on pilot supply websites but none of these seem to be
independent or detailed enough to make my decision.

I am not really interested in the detailed specifications, I am after
reviews from pilots who have used them (comfort, features, weight etc..)
ideally comparing the pro's and con's between the different models.

Thanks

Old April 18th 04, 01:31 AM
Roy Smith

"Paul" wrote:
I am after a David Clarke Headset but am not sure which one to buy.
[...]
I am not really interested in the detailed specifications, I am after
reviews from pilots who have used them (comfort, features, weight etc..)
ideally comparing the pro's and con's between the different models.

I can't compare the various models, but I can tell you that I've had my
13.4's for 10 years and almost 900 hours. Between flights they get
stuffed into my flight bag with no special treatment. I find them
comfortable and they still look almost brand new.
Old April 18th 04, 01:44 AM
Cockpit Colin

My advise would be, above all else, get an ANR / ENC model. Makes comms
roughly twice as clear, and is far less tiring on long flights. Personally,
I've had a bad run with DC ENC models, but I guess that's what warranties
are for, and you certainly can't fault their customer service.

Old April 18th 04, 05:08 AM
Dale

In article ,
"Paul" wrote:

I am not really interested in the detailed specifications, I am after
reviews from pilots who have used them (comfort, features, weight etc..)
ideally comparing the pro's and con's between the different models.

I've been using DC headsets since '73...in fact I still have the first
one I bought in '73.

My current headset is a 10-56HX. ANR with the deeper "Helicopter" ear
cups. My normal work day has me wearing them for 8-12 hours...minimal
complaint about comfort....wearing anything for that long will be
noticable...even nice silk underwear. G

The noise attenuation is good. The headsets are rugged and the one time
I've needed work done from the factory (the original ANR had some
squeal) it was done quickly at no charge.

I recommend them and wouldn't think of buying any other headset. (I
have used Bose, Flightcom and Sigtronic headsets)

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old April 18th 04, 07:26 AM
tony roberts

I am not really interested in the detailed specifications, I am after
reviews from pilots who have used them (comfort, features, weight etc..)
ideally comparing the pro's and con's between the different models.

Never a problem with mine.
I plug them in - they work.
They are comfortable and I like them.
They are reliable.
I don't look beyond that

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old April 18th 04, 09:39 AM
Thomas Borchert

Paul,

I am after a David Clarke Headset

Well, my primary question would be: Why DC? There are many other brands
which probably (IMHO definitely) offer a much better value. With DC,
you pay a premium just for the brand name.

You should consider two things, IMHO:

1. Comfort is a very personal thing - you definitely need to try before
you buy, either at the local pilot shop or through a money-back
guarantee.

2. Do not buy something without ANR (active Noise Reduction).
Passive-only headsets are a thing of the past.

I happen to like the Lightspeed headsets very much. They offer
excellent comfort and very good ANR at relatively low prices.

If you want independent reviews (on pretty much anything), Aviation
Consumer is the place to go. The magazine's website offers all back
issues electronically at www.aviationconsumer.com. They have reviewed
headsets repeatedly.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 18th 04, 10:07 AM
Cockpit Colin

I happen to like the Lightspeed headsets very much. They offer
excellent comfort and very good ANR at relatively low prices.

And you just can't beat their customer service - I've read of people who've
sent them back a dozen times or more, and everytime they fix them up again
and send em back with a smile

Old April 18th 04, 12:45 PM
Thomas Borchert

Cockpit,

I've read of people who've
sent them back a dozen times or more

Well, I'd wager you've read about exactly ONE person who's done that.
And he's gotten one for free now.

You also find one person here who hates his (ex-)Cirrus. This is
Usenet...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 18th 04, 01:19 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Paul" wrote:
I am a student pilot hoping to take my checkride within the next month
(PPL/A).

I am after a David Clarke Headset but am not sure which one to buy.
Does anyone know of a good website that has independent reviews on all the
Dave Clarke models, the only reviews I can find are either on the David
Clarke website or on pilot supply websites but none of these seem to be
independent or detailed enough to make my decision.

I am not really interested in the detailed specifications, I am after
reviews from pilots who have used them (comfort, features, weight etc..)
ideally comparing the pro's and con's between the different models.

David Clark's aren't the most comfortable, but they are probably the
most durable and are backed by a company with a legendary reputation for
customer service. I have a relatively old model, the H10-20, and prefer
it to the newer H10-13.4 (I think that's it) model.

Bose is definitely the way to go if you have the money and want active
noise cancellation. My Cherokee just isn't loud enough to warrant any
type of ANR... I've tried many of them, and the extra quiet wasn't worth
the price paid to get it. However, airplanes with larger engines or
less cabin insulation would probably cause me to re-evaluate.

I've tried the LightSpeed sets and they are an excellent value for
active noise cancellation. They are comfortable and work well, and
although the noise cancellation and audio quality isn't quite as good as
the Bose, they're also about $700 less expensive. However, they are
pretty much an all-plastic headset and -- the deal-killer for me -- they
are just too darn big for my airplane. It was easy enough to lower the
seat and work around scraping the top of the cabin, but my lateral space
is at a premium as well, and the large cups with the thick foam made the
headset just too bulky for my airplane.

JKG
Old April 18th 04, 05:19 PM
Brien K. Meehan

Dale wrote in message ...

My current headset is a 10-56HX. ANR with the deeper "Helicopter" ear
cups. My normal work day has me wearing them for 8-12 hours...minimal
complaint about comfort....wearing anything for that long will be
noticable...even nice silk underwear. G

Consider your passengers too. Mine seem to be just fine when I wear a
pair of DC's on my head, but they look worried when I wear a pair of
nice silk underwear on my head.