Improved shear/stall-spin alarms

Old June 9th 13, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]

Default Improved shear/stall-spin alarms

I just wondering if current technology could provide improved stall-spin warnings/information.

For example, suppose you installed a pitot at each wingtip (and I'm making an assumption you need this level of resolution) and had an instrument that monitored/stored wingtip airspeed and fluctuations … and had inertial inputs that could provide information about how cleanly you were flying the ship.

This data would be evaluated relative to a flight envelope (algorithm and envelope would have to be developed)– and if you were near the envelope boundaries – because of atmospheric conditions (gusts or shear) … or how you were flying the ship (slipping or skidding) … or if you were close to the ground/terrain … alerts would display/sound. (Could this be a feature of our modern varios.)

Or do we consistently fly too close (or over) an envelope edge to allow this to work in practice.

KK
Old June 9th 13, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 6:55:36 AM UTC-6, KiloKilo wrote:
[...]

The key variable to monitor is angle of attack. Other than in the landing flare, there is no reason or need to operate a glider at an angle of attack greater than that for minimum sink. There's a fairly wide angle of attack range between min sink and stall where a slow/stall warning could be set so it isn't overly intrusive.

The Angle of attack probe itself can be just two pressure ports in the nose..

The warning itself could be lights, sounds or my preference, a stick vibrator like the ones in cell phones. Since most gliders have glide computers with AGL altitude, the warnings could be more insistent when low.
Old June 9th 13, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Technology is a wonderful thing and, given the time and money, we engineers
can develop anything you desire.

BUT... Would another bell or whistle really improve safety over simply
learning to fly correctly? Have we become so insulated from our
surroundings that we can't recognize a burble in the controls,a slacking of
pressure, a reduction in air noise?

In the 80s it was temperature probes on the wingtips in the hope that
detecting a slightly different temperature would have us turning into warmer
(rising?) air.

As was said earlier, it's AoA that you're looking for. They've already got
it; for civilian aircraft, too. Look he
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ndicators.html

Old June 9th 13, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:19:11 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Technology is a wonderful thing and, given the time and money, we engineers can develop anything you desire.

BUT... Would another bell or whistle really improve safety over simply learning to fly correctly? Have we become so insulated from our surroundings that we can't recognize a burble in the controls,a slacking of pressure, a reduction in air noise?

___________________

Some form of AoA sensing/stall warning is installed on every aircraft made - except rotorcraft and gliders. The sling-wing guys have an excuse, we don't. I think our terrible safety record speaks volumes.

Clearly, pilots don't universally recognize impending stall/spins. We've been trying to get them to do so for the entire history of flight without much success. It time for another solution now that we have the technology.
Old June 9th 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Bill D wrote, On 6/9/2013 9:04 AM:
[...]

Has anyone tried any of various AOA instruments on the market? There are
several under $1000.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old June 9th 13, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 2:57:47 PM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Bill D wrote, On 6/9/2013 9:04 AM:

[...]

I don't know if there is one designed from the beginning as a glider instrument. Here's what I have in mind:
http://www.technology-market.eu/part...84FB_3IDG.html

Except, there's no need for a separate probe, just use the glider's nose as a probe's nose cone and add the pressure sensing ports.
Old June 9th 13, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 16:04 09 June 2013, Bill D wrote:
[...]

Why don't they? If they are properly trained they should. If they are
regularly checked they should.
A lot more time is spent, IMHO too much time, teaching the recovery from a
stall/spin and far too little time is making sure that people do really
recognise the signs of an approaching stall. Knowing the recovery from a
stall and being super reactive in applying corrective action for a fully
developed spin in the final turn is more likely to kill you that letting
the spin continue. Recognising the signs of an approaching stall and taking
the corrective action will save you every time. Recognising the signs of an
approaching stall is not difficult so why do people get caught out.
The problem with replacing skill and good practice with technology is that
people come to rely on the technology and when it fails are completely
screwed.
As a very experienced airline pilot put it. Automatic take off, automatic
flying and automatic landing = automatic crash.

Old June 10th 13, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 12:04:54 PM UTC-4, Bill D wrote:

Some form of AoA sensing/stall warning is installed on every aircraft made - except rotorcraft and gliders.

Do many pilots recount hearing the stall alarm on the turn to final and then saving their own butt? Or are stall alarms only effective when they go off high above the ground?

Old June 10th 13, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:27:16 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2013 12:04:54 PM UTC-4, Bill D wrote:

Some form of AoA sensing/stall warning is installed on every aircraft made - except rotorcraft and gliders.

Do many pilots recount hearing the stall alarm on the turn to final and then saving their own butt? Or are stall alarms only effective when they go off high above the ground?

Most definitely! Low altitude is where they save your butt.
Old June 10th 13, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've found stall horns annoying in high performance flying. It's the
physical signals the airplane gives, not alarms, that tell me a stall is
imminent. You should really learn to feel the aircraft and not rely on
horns, bells, whistles, gauges, etc. They WILL fail some day...