Cambridge 302 Utility

Old September 24th 18, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

Default Cambridge 302 Utility

I have had very good luck using keyspan USB to serial adapters on WinXP, Win7 and Win10, both 32 and 64 bit with a variety of devices ranging from flight recorders (including the CAI302) to CISCO network switches and routers. It has been a while since i had to run the 302 utility but I am pretty sure it had to be executed with elevated privileges in Windows 7 or 10 (right click on the executable and run as administrator)

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Ke.../dp/B0000VYJRY

Hope that helps
Luke

Old September 24th 18, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Dave
To configure a 302 through the panel you need a 303 display connected to the 302 I believe.

To the OP if you can get a 303 screen attached to your 302 you've really got something! Great wind info, turnpoint data, task making, performance etc etc I think it may have 10 or more pages of info to look at.
But you still cannot install turnpoint data bases, for that you need the utility or a Oudie.
A Oudie with ConnectMe can load turnpoints into a 302 BTW. You can also download your flight into a Oudie. A Oudie coupled to to a 302 and a 303 is pretty awesome even in todays high tech world, and cheap!
That's how I change turnpoint data bases when I travel. Bu using the Oudie. You just need to make sure the Baud rate on the Oudie is set to 4800 to talk to the 302, aren't computers fun?

Old September 25th 18, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Just for my knowledge, is XC Soar run on a Ipaq type device? Does it use a SD card where the Software, 302 Utility and turnpoints live? Or Does XC Soar have its own internal memory?

Old September 25th 18, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

XCSoar can be run on a PC, an Android phone, mac, linux, and Windows Mobile.

Typically the user would load their waypoints into XCSoar using a standard .cup waypoint file and then XCSoar will reformat for the 302 automatically in the background when pushing to the vario.

The way XCSoar stores data such as turnpoints really depends on the device running XCSoar. Most Android phones will us an SD card or internal memory, PC and Mac will use the normal computer file system, etc.

Robert

Old September 25th 18, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

In this age of moving map flight computers being essentially free, I
don't see the appeal of trying to navigate with the 302, even if he has
the 303.

I've used a 302 feeding gps and other data to a tablet running TopHat,
and using the tablet as a convenient way to download flights from the 302.

OP didn't tell us exactly what he's trying to accomplish with the 302,
more details would make for a better discussion.

-Dave

Old September 26th 18, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Dave
What I like about the system I have is that it is two separate computer systems running.
I've got the 302/303 connected which does all the above I mentioned and you can configure the 302 with the 303 to some extent. Put you name in there settings etc, check the GPS lock, but you know all this. Then I've got my PowerFlarm hooked to my Oudie, with the Flarm GPS signal feeding the Oudie. Now I've got 2 turnpoints running at once, two final glides and 2 wind calcs. Going long distance XC its nice to have the two turnpoints running at the same time, you can easily leapfrog them along to the nearest airport.
And all this stuff above works great, Having the powerflarm hooked to the Oudie is really great, the traffic advisories are fantastic! I've gotten two conflict warnings now that has made the whole system well worthwhile, both would have been very close if not actual midairs with powered aircraft. Did not see either one.
Thread drift button OFF sorry..

Old September 27th 18, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

If anyone is interested, I have a 303 display for sale... listed on GliderSource or contact me directly.

As Nick mentions, it's a good compliment to a map type display. Easy to read, easy to use. When I had both 303 and map display in the cockpit, I generally used the 303 for final glide reference.

Evan Ludeman