Logging oil changes

Old November 15th 04, 03:02 AM

Default Logging oil changes

As some of you know, I'm in the market for an airplane. To this endeavor, I
find myself reading through a lot of maintenance log books.

I've noticed that some people log oil changes but some do not.

I'm a little worried about the owners who don't because I don't know if the
oil is ever changes or not. (Yes, I know that it just being in the log book
doesn't mean it is actually done, but it does a lot to put my mind to rest.)
All the owners I've talked to claim that they do oil changes in 25 or 50
hour intervals, but they don't log it.

Do you log oil changes?

Old November 15th 04, 04:04 AM
G.R. Patterson III

" wrote:

Do you log oil changes?

Yes.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old November 15th 04, 04:10 AM
NW_PILOT

" wrote in message
link.net...
As some of you know, I'm in the market for an airplane. To this endeavor,

find myself reading through a lot of maintenance log books.

I've noticed that some people log oil changes but some do not.

I'm a little worried about the owners who don't because I don't know if

the
oil is ever changes or not. (Yes, I know that it just being in the log

book
doesn't mean it is actually done, but it does a lot to put my mind to

rest.)
All the owners I've talked to claim that they do oil changes in 25 or 50
hour intervals, but they don't log it.

Do you log oil changes?

When I was looking for an airplane. I had a guy give me an excuse why no oil
changes were logged during his ownership! He said it burnt 1 QT every 4 to 5
hours so in 25 hours it did not need one because he put about 5 QT's in it
during that 25 hours. I could not help but to start laughing turn around and
walk back to my car.

Old November 15th 04, 04:40 AM
Bob Noel

In article .net,
" wrote:

Do you log oil changes?

yes.

--
Bob Noel
Old November 15th 04, 05:07 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

"NW_PILOT" writes:

When I was looking for an airplane. I had a guy give me an excuse
why no oil changes were logged during his ownership! He said it
burnt 1 QT every 4 to 5 hours so in 25 hours [...]

Did he instead log each addition those quarts of oil? In Canada, such
"elementary work" is required to be logged, and so is "preventive
maintenance" in the US (FAR 43.9).

- FChE

Old November 15th 04, 06:09 PM
ShawnD2112

I do log oil changes, otherwise I wouldn't know when to do the next 25 hr or
6 month change. Also, I want to have a good maintenance record in case I
decide to sell the airplane.

Shawn
Pitts S-1D, G-BKVP
" wrote in message
link.net...
As some of you know, I'm in the market for an airplane. To this endeavor,
find myself reading through a lot of maintenance log books.

I've noticed that some people log oil changes but some do not.

I'm a little worried about the owners who don't because I don't know if
the
oil is ever changes or not. (Yes, I know that it just being in the log
book
doesn't mean it is actually done, but it does a lot to put my mind to
rest.)
All the owners I've talked to claim that they do oil changes in 25 or 50
hour intervals, but they don't log it.

Do you log oil changes?

Logging time on a PCATD [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 3 December 18th 04 05:25 PM
Logging Actual Time Brenor Brophy Instrument Flight Rules 9 November 3rd 04 03:00 PM
CFI logging requirement [email protected] Owning 9 October 19th 04 07:11 PM
Logging local flights. Rich Owning 23 July 16th 04 12:02 AM
Logging again Doug Instrument Flight Rules 10 September 17th 03 02:38 AM