identity part of wing

Old August 4th 05, 09:25 AM
Bucky

Default identity part of wing

What are those pointy things hanging from the flaps called? And what do
they do exactly?

http://boeing.com/companyoffices/gal...747400-14.html

Old August 4th 05, 09:58 AM
Peter Duniho

"Bucky" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are those pointy things hanging from the flaps called? And what do
they do exactly?

As far as I know, they are just fairings for the flap extension/retraction
mechanism.

If they are called anything other than "fairings", I don't know what.

Old August 4th 05, 10:45 AM
Scott Skylane

Peter Duniho wrote:

As far as I know, they are just fairings for the flap extension/retraction
mechanism.

If they are called anything other than "fairings", I don't know what.

The fairings that cover the flap tracks are sometimes called "canoes"
due to their general appearance.

I saw a display of the Airbus A-380 "canoes" once, they were *massive*.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old August 4th 05, 05:23 PM
tom418

On the B727, these would be called "Flap Actuator Jackscrew Fairings"
You can actually dispatch with these missing, after consulting the book.
(Reduction of Field Length Limit and Approach/Landing Climb limit of 100 lbs
is necessary, according to my manual)

ups.com...

Old August 4th 05, 05:59 PM
Bucky

Scott Skylane wrote:
The fairings that cover the flap tracks

Ah, I see. I didn't realize how much the flap track/hinge protruded
underneath.

It seems to me that the canoe-style fairings were not implemented until
maybe 15 years ago, because I don't remember seeing them before 15
years ago. Did the fairings used to be small and hidden below the flap?
And then evolved into extending well beyond the flap?

Old August 4th 05, 10:28 PM
Brien K. Meehan

On my plane, the pointy things hanging from the flaps are called
"icicles."

.... but not this month.

Old August 5th 05, 04:11 AM
Morgans

"Scott Skylane" wrote

The fairings that cover the flap tracks are sometimes called "canoes"
due to their general appearance.

I saw a display of the Airbus A-380 "canoes" once, they were *massive*.

Right. The flap actuating mechanism is very complex, and large. It allows
the flaps to actuate back, and at a downward angle, with slots between each
section of the flaps. This allows the wing to grow in size (with the flaps
extended), and increase the lift coefficient of the wing with the flap
extended, more than just a plain pivoting flap like general aviation planes
usually have.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 8th 05, 10:58 AM
Mike Money

LoPresti Speed Merchants out of Vero Beach Fl frefer to them as
"splitters". which are fairings that cover both the forward and aft flap
hinge assemblies for GA applications.

molding plexiglas websites? [email protected] Owning 44 February 17th 05 09:33 PM
Wing tip stalls mat Redsell Soaring 5 March 13th 04 05:07 PM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM