A-7 Corsair Info needed

Old January 25th 05, 08:48 AM

Default A-7 Corsair Info needed

When I visited Iwakuni in '85 (was stationed there from '73-'76),
there
was an entire A-7 squadron there, billed as a "spare" for the Midway,

or
whichever other boat was doing IO duty at the time. Don't recall too

much
else of what I learned in a 15 minute conversation with one of the

maint
guys.

Dave in San Diego

Yes, such things are confirmed by some more or less official sources.

Beside VA-192 you probably meant, there happened to at least three
other A-7E squadrons (VA-15, VA-37, VA-105) to be deployed to MCAS
Iwakuni.

There was also a Navy F/A-18A squadron, VFA-132, stationed at Iwakuni
from Oct 1987 till Apr 1988, before (in September 2004) VFA-97 opened
a new chapter of the story of Navy squadrons switched to UDP cycle.

You can check it at:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/gonavy/atsugi/usmc03.html (for A-7E units)

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/gonavy/atsugi/usmc02.html
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/gonavy/atsugi/usmcj2005.html (for USN F/A-18)

http://history.navy.mil/branches/dictvol1.htm (for both)

Unfortunately, I can't help you with finding the photos. Did you try
some search on Japanese Yahoo?

Good luck!

Jacek Zemlo