AOPA credit card --- WARNING.

Old November 29th 04, 02:08 PM
Jay Honeck

Yeah, I got a corporate AMEX delivered to my hotel room in Madrid when I
told my company that I couldn't pay a $250/day hotel room bill (times 60
days) on my own personal credit card.

Wow -- I hope you were staying at the Taj Majal.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 29th 04, 02:30 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
Yeah, I got a corporate AMEX delivered to my hotel room in Madrid when I
told my company that I couldn't pay a $250/day hotel room bill (times 60
days) on my own personal credit card.

Wow -- I hope you were staying at the Taj Majal.

Nope, the Melia Castilla. Actually, come to think of it, it was only
$200/day after we found that (since we were working with IBM) we could
stay on the "Servicio Real" (Royal Service) floors at the IBM corporate
rate instead of the "soak the gringos rate" on their regular floors.

Still, looking on-line, I see that their rates haven't gotten any better.
One site has one room at $252.99/night, and another at $332.99/night.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
char *p="char *p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){print f(p,34,p,34);}
Old November 29th 04, 02:40 PM
Jay Honeck

Still, looking on-line, I see that their rates haven't gotten any better.
One site has one room at $252.99/night, and another at $332.99/night.

For those rates, they had better have the Spanish Bikini Team providing full
body massages...

;-)

In our place, that would get you a 1300 sq ft, 2-story townhouse, with full
kitchen, 2 queen bedrooms, 2 baths (one with hot tub) -- and breakfast
delivered -- for TWO nights!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 29th 04, 02:59 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
Still, looking on-line, I see that their rates haven't gotten any better.
One site has one room at $252.99/night, and another at $332.99/night.

In our place, that would get you a 1300 sq ft, 2-story townhouse, with full
kitchen, 2 queen bedrooms, 2 baths (one with hot tub) -- and breakfast
delivered -- for TWO nights!

Madrid was expensive. A Whopper, fries and a beer at the local Burger
King (yes, they sell beer at Burger King in Spain) was $10.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
[Y]ou should write for the comprehension of the next programmer who
Old November 29th 04, 04:32 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Still, looking on-line, I see that their rates haven't gotten any better.
One site has one room at $252.99/night, and another at $332.99/night.

For those rates, they had better have the Spanish Bikini Team providing full
body massages...

;-)

In our place, that would get you a 1300 sq ft, 2-story townhouse, with full
kitchen, 2 queen bedrooms, 2 baths (one with hot tub) -- and breakfast
delivered -- for TWO nights!

What about the massages? :-)

Matt

Old November 29th 04, 05:20 PM
John Galban

"Chuck" wrote in message m...
"John Galban" wrote in message
om...

snip

I've almost never kept a balance on a credit card. If I can't get a
real loan (i.e. bank loan with reasonable terms), then that means I
probably can't afford whatever it is I want to buy.

Must be nice... I don't have the option of very many luxuries, so I need
credit from time to time for necessities...

Reread my post. I said that if you do need to borrow money, a
credit card is the most expensive (and risky) way to get it, leaving
you even fewer options for luxuries. If a credit card is your only
option, then you're in need of some financial planning.

My point was that the typical credit card agreement exposes you to a
potential finanacial disaster. It allows the issuing bank to put you
into a financial hole that could take years to dig yourself out of.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old November 29th 04, 05:52 PM
David Lesher

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

Madrid was expensive. A Whopper, fries and a beer at the local Burger
King (yes, they sell beer at Burger King in Spain) was $10.

Try Martinique. I emptied out the mini-bar and bought cheese, meat
and French break to meet per-diem. Sunday I ate at the tourist hotel's
buffet brunch and it was $40.00...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old November 29th 04, 05:54 PM
David Lesher

Roger writes:

BTW, every since the checking account has existed, people have
depended on the time for a check to clear. That is coming to an end
as are the jobs flying canceled checks. In the not too distant
future, when you write a check, it will be debited against your
account and credited to the payee almost instantly. It's this way in
some areas now, but it's becoming universal.

Make that "past" as Check21 went into effect this month. Note your deposits
STILL 'anti-float'....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old November 29th 04, 08:32 PM
Dave Butler

Matt Whiting wrote:
Unfortunately, our schools and often
our parents simply don't teach people good financial management skills.
And society in general certainly encourages financial recklessness and
people without the skills and will power to handle it can easily get in
trouble.

Reluctantly dipping my toe in this thread and finding something on which to
agree with Matt :-)

My parents, bless 'em, did their best to give me a good start in life and I
certainly thank them for all they did for me, but they couldn't pass on
knowledge they didn't have. They didn't know much about how to manage money, and
I inherited their ignorance. I didn't know how much I didn't know. I've been to
the brink and seen down into the abyss. I'm still learning. If you (collective
you) are like me, take the initiative to get some help, training, education in
managing money, then apply the things you learn. It's not too late... and don't
forget to pass along what you learn to your kids.

Dave
Old November 29th 04, 10:39 PM
mike regish

Did you ever think that maybe it's not just pilots that find themselves in
circumstances beyond their control? I just hate to see anybody lumping whole
groups into a category like "scum" or "low-life" unless the facts warrant
it. I'm sure there are some, but I'm equally sure that there are some
no-shows that have legitimate reasons. Hopefully, they do everything they
can to contact you in a timely manner, but even that's not always possible.

mike regish

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Sometimes we just have to realize that the world is full of scum, and a
few of these low-lifes will stay at our inn.

(Or, as in this case, WON'T stay at our inn.... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA