AOPA credit card --- WARNING.

Old December 1st 04, 02:19 PM
David Lesher

"John Harlow" writes:

What reason could there possibly be to still have one of those [AMEX] dinosaurs,
aside from that "member since" sillyness?

When I traveled internationaly on business, it had real advantages.
I once needed to solve a crisis by charging BIGNUM right now; they
didn't even blink.

But yes, the gap has been narrowing for many years...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old December 1st 04, 09:36 PM
Jay Honeck

I say, let me guess, my brother was never here. He says, never saw him
before in my life, see you guys next year. So cash buyers are always a
little more welcome around here than people with plastic.

One thing I've learned from owning three businesses: Don't start lying
about stuff like this.

Why?

a) I'm a bad liar.
b) I can't remember which lie I told to whom.

So, as much as I despise taxes, I play it straight, my books are clean, and
I sleep well at night.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 1st 04, 09:41 PM
Jay Honeck

That is unfortunate, but did you really "lose" money? The card
companies make the money from the card holders, not the vendors.

You couldn't be more wrong. Credit card companies charge the
'vendors' a fee for each and every transaction.

No, you couldn't be more wrong. Vendors choose the prices, consumers
hold the cards. Consumers make the purchases. The fees are passed to the
consumers.

Actually, the credit card companies dip from both wells, charging consumers
AND vendors.

However, vendors are ALWAYS charged, while consumers are charged only if
they're dumb enough to rack up balances, and pay 22% interest.

Of course, in the end, consumers pay more because of the vendor charges,
too -- but it's not always a 100% pass-through.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 1st 04, 09:47 PM
Jay Honeck

Or maybe you're tired of ****tyBank & Choicepoint tracking your
every move, not to mention Fatherland Security and Rev. Ike. There
was a time when what you [legally] did was your own business; but
that's no longer true in this country, unless you make real efforts
on your own behalf. And the most effective is: pay cash. When asked
for your name and address, ask back: Why do you need to know?

Um, we ask your name, address and daytime phone number when you make a
reservation, and we verify it at check-in.

We do this not because we're interested in your every move, but so we can
mail back the cell phone charger (or whatever) that an amazing percentage of
our guests accidentally leave in their suite when they check out.

(We've got an amazing collection of them, BTW. I think we have one of every
charger -- and they're all different -- ever made.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 2nd 04, 05:21 AM
David Lesher

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Or maybe you're tired of ****tyBank & Choicepoint tracking your
every move, not to mention Fatherland Security and Rev. Ike. There
was a time when what you [legally] did was your own business; but
that's no longer true in this country, unless you make real efforts
on your own behalf. And the most effective is: pay cash. When asked
for your name and address, ask back: Why do you need to know?

Um, we ask your name, address and daytime phone number when you make a
reservation, and we verify it at check-in.

I didn't say you, Jay. I said the listbroker business, with their
allies the cc: folks.

Besides, you can save the trouble. Trans Union's Trans-Link/Reverse
Lookup service will take that cc: # you have and give you the address
& phone of the cardholder. Then you can send them junk mail, just like
the big junkmailers..

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old December 2nd 04, 08:21 AM

Only if you take your book keeping seriously ;)

Bryan

Old December 3rd 04, 10:03 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:10:40 -0500, "John Harlow"
wrote:

Don't they still have some unavoiadable yearly fee - no
matter how long you've been a "member since"?

I will ditch my Delta/Amex card when the 12 free months are up. I
change cards yearly in any event, to get the best deal and to clear
the numbers in all the online places.

And they still offer no payback, right?

I get a mile a dollar. AMEX also has a cash-back card. I think the
traditional green one is still $100/'year and no payback. I guess
there are lots of people who like the appearance and don't care about
a 1 or 2 percent discount.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old December 3rd 04, 10:06 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 00:52:34 -0500, "Dick" wrote:

No, you couldn't be more wrong. Vendors choose the prices, consumers hold
the cards. Consumers make the purchases. The fees are passed to the
consumers.

In that sense, every cost is passed to the consumer. But in the case
of credit cards, only the guy using the card gets the payback.

After all, if every cost were simply passed to the consumer, why are
United and U.S.Airlines in bankruptcy court?

Old December 3rd 04, 11:36 AM
Morgans

"Cub Driver" wrote

In that sense, every cost is passed to the consumer. But in the case
of credit cards, only the guy using the card gets the payback.

After all, if every cost were simply passed to the consumer, why are
United and U.S.Airlines in bankruptcy court?

all the best -- Dan Ford

Bingo. They are not passing all the costs along, ant that means they are
not charging as much as the service costs. Hard to imagine why they are
losing money.
--
Jim in NC

---