Jepp no longer in the GA business...?

Old June 12th 04, 02:17 PM

Dave Butler wrote:

Give your method a test. Check both Runway 3 at PHLI (Lihue, Hawaii) and Runway 15
at KASE (Aspen, Colorado) and see if you get the VGSI restrictions for both of
those runways. If you do, you likely don't need the AF/D either.

Did you mean PLIH? What's VGSI? If I didn't get the VGSI restrictions for an
airport, I wouldn't even know what I didn't have.

Dave

PHLI is Lihue, Hawaii, the main airport on Kauai. The domestic identifier is LIH. VGSI
(visual glide slope indicator) is the generic term for PAPI or VASI.

From the AIM:

"Pilots should be aware that the published angle is for information only - it is strictly
advisory in nature. There is no implicit additional obstacle protection below the MDA.
Pilots must still respect the published minimum descent altitude (MDA) unless the visual
cues stated in 14 CFR Section 91.175 are present. In rare cases, the published procedure
descent angle will not coincide with the Visual Glide Slope Indicator (VGSI); VASI or
PAPI. In these cases, the procedure will be annotated: 'VGSI and descent angle not
coincident.' "

Old June 12th 04, 02:25 PM

Matt Whiting wrote:

I've been doing the same. I always carry the AOPA airport guide, but I
realize it isn't the same as the AF/D.

Matt

Does the AOPA airport guide provide the PAPI horizontal coverage restriction for
Aspen, Colorado?

Old June 12th 04, 03:31 PM
Stan Prevost

wrote in message ...
But, one of the DUAT vendors, I don't recall
which one off-hand, makes it pretty easy by requesting a single location

briefing
and including FDC NOTAMs specific to that location. It you err and

include general
FDC NOTAMs you end up with all that mostly useless BS.

DTC DUAT has that feature. However, it has pitfalls.

You must know the identifier to use to get NOTAMs, and it is not always the
airport identifier. For example, a nearby (to me) airport 5M0 has an
instrument approach but no weather reporting. If you use the "Specific
Location" feature of DUAT with identifier 5M0 in an attempt to find NOTAMs
for that airport, you will get an error message that it is not a valid
weather reporting identifier. The way around this is to use the identifier
lookup feature on the Specific Location page (the binoculars over the
"Location ID" box). Enter the airport identifier (or name) into the lookup
dialog box and you will get a response that gives you the identifier to use
to get NOTAMs. It will usually be the AFSS serving that airport if there is
no weather reporting from that airport. For 5M0 NOTAMS, I would use ANB as
the identifier in the "Specific Locations" Location ID box.

Seems like the software ought to look up the proper ID for NOTAMS and use
that. I discussed this at length with the DTC folks at Oskosh last year,
and once they understood the confusing aspect of this for someone just
wanting to look up NOTAM info, they seemed interested in changing it. But
so far, nothing.

Another problem is that even when you enter the correct ID to get NOTAMs for
a specific airport, there may be no NOTAMs for that airport, but you will
still get a long list of NOTAMs for navaids, GPS, LORAN, and airports
hundreds of miles away, even selecting just NOTAMs and FDC NOTAMs,
deselecting General FDC NOTAMs and everything else. You have to use your
browser text search feature to see if there is anything for the airport of
interest embedded in that long list.

Stan

Old June 12th 04, 07:58 PM
kage

Wally,

Is that you? Sneaking in through the back door?

Best
KAGE

Old June 13th 04, 06:34 PM

Scott Moore wrote:

wrote:

John Harper wrote:

their chart products to force people to subscribe. I don't like being
blackmailed at any time, and the NOS charts are fine - I prefer Jepp but not
THAT much - so that's the end of Jepp as far as I'm concerned.

If your instrument flying is limited to the U.S. why not forget Jeppesen and,
instead, use the new NACO vector-graphics charts, which are free.

There used to be a real issue of print quality of the bitmap NACO charts offered
by AOPA and others. Not so now that NACO has provided the charts in vector
graphics and, unlike Jeppesen, in a very convenient stand-alone Acrobat file
format. And, when you print out the NACO chart on a good printer it is full
page without any license BS cluttering the top of the chart.

If you fly internationally, then you're stuck with Jepps. In that case, money
usually isn't a big deal so you shower Jeppesen with lots of long green for
extensive international coverage.

So is there some good software for cockpit computers that integrates the
NACO charts in a reasonable way ? I can't see fooling with acrobat
reader every time I need to bring up an approach....

If you buy the NACO DVD and load it onto your computer it is fairly friendly, but I
wouldn't want to use it as primary. Printed charts (which look really good from a
good laser) for what you anticipate, then the electronic form as a backup for
contingincies.

As I've said before, if your flying "all over the place" IFR this won't work well;
neither does Jeppesen's JeppView, except in a two-person flight deck with certified
displays ($$$$$).

Old June 14th 04, 03:15 AM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote in message ...

Scott Moore wrote:

So is there some good software for cockpit computers that integrates the
NACO charts in a reasonable way ? I can't see fooling with acrobat
reader every time I need to bring up an approach....

If you buy the NACO DVD and load it onto your computer it is fairly

friendly, but I
wouldn't want to use it as primary. Printed charts (which look really

good from a
good laser) for what you anticipate, then the electronic form as a backup

for
contingincies.

A notebook computer with the CD already in the slot and a Canon I80 Color
BubbleJet portable printer and you've got a high quality chart inside a
minute.

Old June 14th 04, 07:49 PM

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

wrote in message ...

Scott Moore wrote:

So is there some good software for cockpit computers that integrates the
NACO charts in a reasonable way ? I can't see fooling with acrobat
reader every time I need to bring up an approach....

If you buy the NACO DVD and load it onto your computer it is fairly

friendly, but I
wouldn't want to use it as primary. Printed charts (which look really

good from a
good laser) for what you anticipate, then the electronic form as a backup

for
contingincies.

A notebook computer with the CD already in the slot and a Canon I80 Color
BubbleJet portable printer and you've got a high quality chart inside a
minute.

NACO charts come on a DVD.

Old June 14th 04, 09:50 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote in message ...

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

A notebook computer with the CD already in the slot and a Canon I80

Color
BubbleJet portable printer and you've got a high quality chart inside a
minute.

NACO charts come on a DVD.

Okay...the silver disk thingy.