Garmin 430 user waypoints

Old December 26th 05, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 430 user waypoints

Hello,
I am a VFR pilot and I currently have a 96C in which I loaded some 700
user waypoints, neede in Italy to find VFR reporting points and
airstrips. My new club's airplane will have a Garmin GNS430. I contacted
Garmin in order to know if it would be possible to load waypoints
through the serial ports, but they said NO.

Looking in depth in the Pilot's manual and in the Installation Manual,
it looks clear that many EFIS do that:
-Bendix King EFS 40/50
-Collins Pro Line 21
-Honeywell Primus 1000
-Radar Graphics
And it is clear too that they connect through Serial 2 RS232 port. On
the installation, I do find some of the OUTPUT packets but there is no
mention of the INPUT required to load waypoints.

Do anybody know something about this?
Old December 26th 05, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Red Baron wrote:
Hello,
I am a VFR pilot and I currently have a 96C in which I loaded some
700 user waypoints, neede in Italy to find VFR reporting points and
airstrips. My new club's airplane will have a Garmin GNS430. I contacted
Garmin in order to know if it would be possible to load waypoints
through the serial ports, but they said NO.

Looking in depth in the Pilot's manual and in the Installation
Manual, it looks clear that many EFIS do that:
-Bendix King EFS 40/50
-Collins Pro Line 21
-Honeywell Primus 1000
-Radar Graphics
And it is clear too that they connect through Serial 2 RS232 port.
On the installation, I do find some of the OUTPUT packets but there is
no mention of the INPUT required to load waypoints.

Do anybody know something about this?

Can you use a program such as EasyGPS (Google) to unload them from one
unit and load them into the other via a portable computer?
Old December 26th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Can you use a program such as EasyGPS (Google) to unload them from one
unit and load them into the other via a portable computer?

Unfortunately no! I already use a similar program as well as some
home-made programs, but all of them work with PORTABLE GPSs. GNS530 is a
panel mount GPS and doesn't have the standard Garmin interface, used
by ant commercial program like EasyGPS, GarTrip, etc.

GNS430 has 4 serial ports, but the software interface (protocol) seems
not documented.
Old December 26th 05, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Ask a local avionics technician, you need to download the
user way-points to a database and then convert it to a
format and medium that can be entered into the new Garmin.
The GNS530 database will be "protected" since it is a
certified unit, but you should be able to create a "virtual
GNS530" using a laptop computer and then use the cross-fill
menu to import the way-points. You have room for 1,000
waypoints.

On page 107 of the GNS530 manual, it says that the GNS530
can use "other equipment" in the panel, such as a joystick,
to create a waypoint. This would be documented and a
qualified avionics shop would be able to duplicate the
output and use your database as the input.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

. ..

Old December 26th 05, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Ask a local avionics technician, you need to download the
user way-points to a database and then convert it to a
format and medium that can be entered into the new Garmin.

Already asked: the only information an important Garmin dealer here in
Italy has, is that a 430/530 can be cross-conneted and the waypoints can
be saved when the other unit has to be serviced.

Database conversion and/or a program on PC is my job: I alreday did it
for a couple of Garmin handhelds, with DOCUMENTED protocol.

The GNS530 database will be "protected" since it is a
certified unit, but you should be able to create a "virtual
GNS530" using a laptop computer and then use the cross-fill
menu to import the way-points.

See above: I need the SPECIFICATIONS for the protocol. On the
"Installation Manual" there are only few specifications, but for packets
FROM the 430 to other units. No reference at all for packets to be sent
to it :-(

On page 107 of the GNS530 manual, it says that the GNS530
can use "other equipment" in the panel, such as a joystick,
to create a waypoint.

Yes: that is the reason I am convinced it can be done.

This would be documented and a
qualified avionics shop would be able to duplicate the
output and use your database as the input.

As far as I can see, it isn't documented. May be Bendix, Honeywell and
Collins have other channels... of course!

Old December 27th 05, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I would seem that the data exchange would have to follow an
ARINC protocol for data exchange. If Garmin was looking to
helpful, you could copy your waypoint database to a CD in
several formats, such as Comma separated values, XLS and
whatever else you can think of. Then send it to Garmin with
a request that they convert it to a format you can install
on your 530 and save as a back-up.

You might also contact Jepesen and ask if they would create
an package for you, with appropriate sales and liability
waivers.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year
. ..

Old December 27th 05, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jim Macklin wrote:
I would seem that the data exchange would have to follow an
ARINC protocol for data exchange. If Garmin was looking to
helpful, you could copy your waypoint database to a CD in
several formats, such as Comma separated values, XLS and
whatever else you can think of. Then send it to Garmin with
a request that they convert it to a format you can install
on your 530 and save as a back-up.

You might also contact Jepesen and ask if they would create
an package for you, with appropriate sales and liability
waivers.

I'm not in the aviation business. I am in the medical
device industry which is quite similar with these regards.
I wouldn't be surprised that Garmin and Jepp refuses. Doing
one-off packages gets expensive for them and the liability
would kill them if something happened. For comparison,
I have heard (no idea the complete accuracy) that a
major jet engine manufacturer who also makes medical equipment
got out of the medical linear accelerator market due to the
potential for being liable for an accident. Again, no idea
the accuracy of this but that is what I heard. Note, this was
after another smaller manufacturer had an incident that killed
7 patients and ran them in bankruptcy nearly instantly. So
for a large company to this on on a one-off basis they would
have to have you sign a letter of indemnity plus charge hundreds
of dollars. Just my 2 cents.

Gerald

Old December 27th 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

GS wrote:

would kill them if something happened. For comparison,
I have heard (no idea the complete accuracy) that a
major jet engine manufacturer who also makes medical equipment
got out of the medical linear accelerator market due to the
potential for being liable for an accident.

Who could that be, other than GE. ;-)

I think the gentlemen that started this thread doesn't quite understand
how and why IFR units have their limitations.

I can cut-and-paste user waypoints from "wherever" to my *VFR* Garmin
296 via MapSource and a USB cable.
Old December 27th 05, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Doesn't hurt to ask, but I'm sure they would be very wary
about liability and cost.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old December 27th 05, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I think the gentlemen that started this thread doesn't quite understand
how and why IFR units have their limitations.

Never heard about "used aircrafts"? Here, in Europe, we choose the best
we can buy, sometimes the avionics are not exactly what we like/need. I
perfectly know 430 is bqasically an IFR unit, but while IT IS
TECHNICALLY POSSIBLE to upload waypoints via one of the serial ports, I
don't ask Garmin or Jeppesen to do that, but I simply would like to know
how can I do the trick.

I can cut-and-paste user waypoints from "wherever" to my *VFR* Garmin
296 via MapSource and a USB cable.

As you can read in the original message, I currently do exactly that,
but I simply don't like to have an useless 8K$ unit in my panel,
expecially considering it could be a perfect VFR too unit, with a littel
help from Garmin (or rsomeone that already hacked the protocol).