Wedekind Sleeve Source?

Old March 8th 16, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

Default Wedekind Sleeve Source?

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 9:00:10 AM UTC-5, Vernon Brown wrote:
At 12:26 08 March 2016, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 5:17:58 AM UTC-5, Vernon Brown wrote:

So I started to cleaned each ball end then lubricate with thin oil

(WD40)

Way off track, but may I drop a tip here?

Vernon: WD-40 is fish oil. It's a great water dispersant (the "WD" in
WD-40), but it has lousy oxidation stability and gets gummy. Use Break
Free CLP.

best,

Evan Ludeman

Thanks Evan, didn't know WD40 was fish oil,
gumming up should not a problem if controls are cleaned before every
rigging, which I did, but useful info nerveless, which will be useful to
others.
Sold my Cirrus about 12 years ago, had an LS8/18 for a while, now I have an
LS6c 17.5 both auto connects.
Vernon

I've always had great luck with Marvel Mystery Oil. It was the club solution for just about all spring lubing at CCSC and worked great even at super cold wave temps. FWIW
Old March 8th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I thought WD-40 was kerosene and perfume. It is a not a very good lubricant, it is great at displacing water.
Old March 8th 16, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

I thought WD-40 was kerosene and perfume. It is a not a very good
lubricant, it is great at displacing water.

You gotta love the internet...source of all the world's answers, some of them
even correct.

Some years ago I heard an interview of the then CEO of the creating company of
WD-40. His version pretty much matched what you'll find at:

http://brokensecrets.com/2010/06/11/...ents-and-uses/

though he was more explicit when explaining that to "protect the Atlas missile
from corrosion" meant its many, external, electrical connectors. Basically, it
was intended originally to discourage (by displacement if necessary) water
from those entering into those connectors while the missiles sat on the
launching pad, often for extended periods of time. Sadly, he didn't comment on
the source of the wonderful (IMHO!) scent...

Having occasionally used it when messing with sailplanes, makes the above
information - worth every cent you paid for it - acceptable content for this
newsgroup.

Bob - auto-connecting since 1981 - W.
Old March 8th 16, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 11:59:33 AM UTC-5, BobW wrote:
[...]

Dang, I thought I could sell that fish story :-).

Glad you enjoyed your chuckle, but don't use that garbage on an airplane!

best,
Evan
Old March 9th 16, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When I attended A&P school, we were taught to use WD-40 to loosen old grease in rod-ends, pulleys, hinges, etc. There are other good aerosol lubricants, but there's nothing wrong with WD-40 !
Just say'n,
JJ