Please write book

Old July 14th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Default Please write book

Maybe we should do one of those crowd funding things and get Remde to write it? Or Pfiffner?

Boggs

Old July 15th 15, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 3:54:38 PM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
Maybe we should do one of those crowd funding things and get Remde to write it? Or Pfiffner?

Boggs

Boggs,

You write it the check is in the mail.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 15th 15, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:50:30 -0700, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:59:34 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Install XC Soar on an android phone. Free.

...you're done. 😀

- the end.

And, as I've stated before, not "everyone" has a Smartphone. Maybe it's
a great thing for those that do, but at least 2 people in this thread
don't have Smartphones.
;-)

Then, put XCSoar or LK8000 on a Binatone or Medion satnav (Medion S3747
is best but carries a premium - transreflective screen, big replaceable
battery). Still plenty of them on eBay.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old July 15th 15, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 6:25:16 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Then, put XCSoar or LK8000 on a Binatone or Medion satnav (Medion S3747
is best but carries a premium - transreflective screen, big replaceable
battery). Still plenty of them on eBay.

But the problem is understanding how to use all the magic! Most glider drivers at my club get overwhelmed by an audio vario - you think they will spend the time to figure out a modern glide computer program?

Ha!

Kirk
66
Old July 15th 15, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:59:34 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Install XC Soar on an android phone. Free.

...you're done. 😀

- the end.

And, as I've stated before, not "everyone" has a Smartphone. Maybe it's
a great thing for those that do, but at least 2 people in this thread
don't have Smartphones.
;-)

Then, put XCSoar or LK8000 on a Binatone or Medion satnav (Medion S3747
is best but carries a premium - transreflective screen, big replaceable
battery). Still plenty of them on eBay.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |

He flies with Clearnav in the '28 or in the '29. Just doesn't use a smartphone.
UH
Old July 15th 15, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

wrote:

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:59:34 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Install XC Soar on an android phone. Free.

...you're done. 😀

- the end.

And, as I've stated before, not "everyone" has a Smartphone. Maybe it's
a great thing for those that do, but at least 2 people in this thread
don't have Smartphones.
;-)

Then, put XCSoar or LK8000 on a Binatone or Medion satnav (Medion S3747
is best but carries a premium - transreflective screen, big replaceable
battery). Still plenty of them on eBay.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |

He flies with Clearnav in the '28 or in the '29. Just doesn't use a smartphone.
UH

What he said.......

Still, if I had to do it on my own, I still don't have a Smartphone. Nor do a lot of others.

As stated before, if you have it & it works, great.
I started cross country with an audio vario, film cameras & a paper map with "prayer wheel".
Old July 15th 15, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I'll take a quarter cut to edit it into readability.

Old July 15th 15, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Hey Yo Chris Johnson
Some free advice from the cheap seats.
Get your credit card ready. Don't worry- its gonna be cheaper than a divorce.
Call Craggy Aero
Purchase a Power Flarm, LX Nav S 80 a Oudie and a couple of those awesome Lipo Batterys.
Throw all that old stuff out.
If your not handy with tools pay a qualified tech to install this stuff.
Install all new tubing.
Get someone to give you a starter course on SeeYou mobile, I will help you if you want.
SeeYou Mobile rocks.
Read the Manuel's a couple of times.
Then - Just Fly and enjoy the best that is out there IMHO.
I promise you,your flying enjoyment will go up by a factor of 5, maybe more!
Nick
Old July 15th 15, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

It you cannot find the book you want, write it! words to live by.

I purchased a LX9070 with V80, Power Flarm, s-mode transponder, Butterfly and a V3 with battery pack.

Why did I choose what I did? I thought the LX9070 to be the most advanced with the most features and upgradeable, plus it was the largest. The Butterfly, again seemed to be the most advanced. The V3 is an electronic version of a manual backup, but has enough battery power for 8 hours of flight with a audio output. Power Flarm and s-mode are so I can see and been seen by traffic. Both the LX and Butterfly will display the traffic, that was important to me. LX and Butterfly have horizons, LX can control radio, many many features and the team is always working to make it better. Same can be said of other companies. Everything seemed logical and since I was buying a new glider, I was not about to try to save money on the panel.

Clear Nav makes nice instruments and by all accounts their vario is excellent. Craggy Aero, Cummulus Soaring and Wings and Wheels all have expert level experience to give you all the info to make a decision depending on your needs and budget.

I wish someone would write a soaring book on flight computers. How to choose one, program, trouble shoot them, use them. Combine book with YouTube explanations.

Old July 15th 15, 10:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

I don't see the point writing a book when instrumentation technology advances at a fairly rapid pace.
Besides such a book needing to be revised frequently there are so many combinations and methods of hooking up instrumentation to flight computers that it would be near impossible to document them all.

Even if you did manage to document it all, if someone is too lazy to read and understand the existing manufacturer manuals then the chances are that they're not going to bother with a long, boring, technical soaring book on flight computers either.

One can find much better, up to date, information using a web search engine, manufacturer manuals and online forums IMO.

F-35 - You write the caption Tom[_8_] Aviation Photos 3 May 10th 10 11:11 AM
IFR LSA write up Helen Owning 1 October 27th 07 02:57 PM
Sup, All & Sorry, No Write Up On S/A NW_Pilot Piloting 13 May 4th 07 03:18 PM
FA: 1-Day-Left: Rare Book - THE SKYCRAFT BOOK - 1932 Aviation Book - Vintage Aviation Phyllis Aviation Marketplace 0 June 27th 05 01:21 AM
FA: Rare Book - THE SKYCRAFT BOOK - 1932 Aviation Book - Vintage Aviation Hannah Aviation Marketplace 0 June 21st 05 02:45 AM