Best Soaring Book

Old January 22nd 16, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Best Soaring Book

What is the best or most interesting soaring book you have read?

I will be choosing a new one out of these, so any recommendations?

On Quite Wings
The Art and Technique of Soaring
Cross-Country Soaring
The Joy of Soaring
Soaring Valley
America's Soaring Book
Soaring Cross Country
With Wings as Eagles
The Powerless Ones
The Soaring Pilot
Once Upon a Thermal
Glider Flying
Gliding A Handbook on Soaring Flight
New Soaring Pilot
On Being a Bird
Soar America
Winning
Advanced Soaring
Soar Sierra

Old January 22nd 16, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 1:39:58 PM UTC-6, Casey wrote:
What is the best or most interesting soaring book you have read?

I will be choosing a new one out of these, so any recommendations?

On Quite Wings
The Art and Technique of Soaring
Cross-Country Soaring
The Joy of Soaring
Soaring Valley
America's Soaring Book
Soaring Cross Country
With Wings as Eagles
The Powerless Ones
The Soaring Pilot
Once Upon a Thermal
Glider Flying
Gliding A Handbook on Soaring Flight
New Soaring Pilot
On Being a Bird
Soar America
Winning
Advanced Soaring
Soar Sierra

Out of those, I would choose Once Upon a Thermal or On Being a Bird.

If you can find a copy of Soaring For Diamonds (Joe Lincoln) i highly recommend it. Same goes for Flight Without Power (Barringer) and The Art of Soaring Flight (Wolf Hirth).

Dick Johnson read The Art of Soaring Flight three times then taught himself how to fly a Primary. Then took a Bowlus Baby Albatross to Elmira for the Nationals, got a license, and placed third. Your mileage may vary.

Old January 22nd 16, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:00:44 -0800, Tony wrote:

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 1:39:58 PM UTC-6, Casey wrote:
What is the best or most interesting soaring book you have read?

I will be choosing a new one out of these, so any recommendations?

On Quite Wings The Art and Technique of Soaring Cross-Country Soaring
The Joy of Soaring Soaring Valley America's Soaring Book Soaring Cross
Country With Wings as Eagles The Powerless Ones The Soaring Pilot Once
Upon a Thermal Glider Flying Gliding A Handbook on Soaring Flight New
Soaring Pilot On Being a Bird Soar America Winning Advanced Soaring
Soar Sierra

Out of those, I would choose Once Upon a Thermal or On Being a Bird.

I'd second that.

I've just been given a copy of "Dancing With The Wind" by Jean-Marie
Clement, which deals with slope and wave soaring. So far I've only
glanced through it but it looks excellent and I expect to learn a lot
from reading it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 22nd 16, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Dick Johnson read The Art of Soaring Flight three times then taught himself how to fly a Primary. Then took a Bowlus Baby Albatross to Elmira for the Nationals, got a license, and placed third. Your mileage may vary.

These are the best three sentences in the history of RAS.

#1 On Being a Bird.
#2 Soaring for Diamonds by Joe Lincoln
UH
Old January 22nd 16, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Youth Lost in Red Hell
By Bela Gogos

Bela flew at Ridge Soaring Gliderport for many years. Quiet, soft spoken.

His book is an amazing story of survival in a WW2 Russian prisoner of war camp in Siberia, and one of the reasons was his familiarity with glider instrumentation.

$12.95
www.eglider.org
Old January 23rd 16, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Thanks. I've been given those books and I will start with On Being a Bird then Once Upon a Thermal.
Old January 23rd 16, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Casey,

I vote for Cross-Country Soaring by Helmut Reichmann.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...trySoaring.htm

I also very highly recommend Advanced Soaring Made Easy.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...ngMadeEasy.htm

I very much enjoyed reading Once Upon a Thermal when I first started
soaring.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...onAThermal.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
______________________________________

Old January 23rd 16, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I just picked up G Dale's The Soaring Engine V1 based on the recent review in Soaring Magazine.

http://lgn1429021840.site-fusion.co.uk/

Old January 23rd 16, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vsoars

G Dale, The Soaring Engine , vol. 2
It gives meaningful information about finding, understanding and using lift. It is written by an amazing master teacher. His words and drawings help you to "see" the lift, where it is and why it's there.
Lots of people mention Cross Country Soaring. I re-read this often mentioned book and planned to write down all the practical information about the act of soaring. I filled two pages.
Buy G Dales book. After 20 years and 1600 hrs. I found it to be the best book about the act of soaring.