Best Soaring Book

Old January 23rd 16, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Best Soaring Book

I also have the '69-'72 Proceedings of the Soaring Symposia, and the Soaring Cross Country, all printed.

http://www.betsybyars.com/guy/soaring_symposia/

At the rate I read I will be busy for awhile.

Casey

Another which was extremely educational and I cannot remember the title
or find it on my shelf is the anthology of the Soaring Symposium
lectures.

--
Kevin Brooker

Old January 23rd 16, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 16:56 23 January 2016, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 11:10:35 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton -

Marfa
Glid=
ers, west Texas wrote:

1. "The Art of Soaring Flight" by my Dad's friend, Wolf Hirth

(1938.)=20
=20
2. "Kronfeld On Gliding and Soaring"=20
subtitled "The Story of Motorless Human Flight" by Robert

Kronfeld
=
(1933.)
=20
I'm told that only 500 copies of Robert Kronfeld's book were

translated
i=
nto english. I have two extra copies to sell someday, perhaps at the
Inter=
national Vintage Sailplane Meet (IVSM) on Harris Hill near Elmira, NY,
July=
9 - 16, 2016. I need to thin out my huge collection of vintage books

and
=
memorabilia. I'll probably publish an inventory sometime this year

before
=
auctioning on eBay.

Since the copyright is expired on these books, what would you think

about
s=
canning them and putting the .pdf on the Soaring Museum's website? Or
they=
could sit unread and moldering in private collections.

pdf files exist on Lakes GC site -

Old February 8th 16, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 11:39:58 AM UTC-8, Casey wrote:
What is the best or most interesting soaring book you have read?

I will be choosing a new one out of these, so any recommendations?

On Quite Wings
The Art and Technique of Soaring
Cross-Country Soaring
The Joy of Soaring
Soaring Valley
America's Soaring Book
Soaring Cross Country
With Wings as Eagles
The Powerless Ones
The Soaring Pilot
Once Upon a Thermal
Glider Flying
Gliding A Handbook on Soaring Flight
New Soaring Pilot
On Being a Bird
Soar America
Winning
Advanced Soaring
Soar Sierra

Your list is missing all of Gren Siebel's books, which IMO are some of the best soaring books I've read.

Gaggle of One
Pilot's Choice
After All
Turnpoints

Old February 25th 16, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 12:01:39 AM UTC-5, sisu1a wrote:
[...]

These books were giving to me and to be honest, I did not find them very interesting. In fact, out dated and stopped reading after a few pages then went to the next. All seemed to start the same way..."ever since the beginning of time man has looked to the sky and dreamt of flying like a bird"

The most interesting were Bob Wander pamphlets, but these are also outdated.. Yes the science of wx and thermals has not changed but using barographs and cameras for turn points is a little out of date. One of the most updated books I have read is the FAA Glider Handbook.

Where are the updated books about modern competitions, the change in design throughout the years, the use of all the new glide software and instruments?

I guess I may have to purchase the ones you suggest and give them a try.

Old February 25th 16, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

I just ran across a biography by Joe Volmar, "I Learned to Fly For Hitler".

http://www.abebooks.com/978096713890...0967138906/plp

Has anyone read it, and how many stars?
Old February 25th 16, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 03:51:07 -0800, Casey wrote:

I just ran across a biography by Joe Volmar, "I Learned to Fly For
Hitler".

http://www.abebooks.com/978096713890...Hitler-Volmar-

Joe-0967138906/plp

Has anyone read it, and how many stars?

I've got it and enjoyed reading it. It gives a very unusual view of life
during WW2 from the viewpoint of an American Boy Scout whose family moved
to Germany in 1940 where he discovered gliding and got his Silver C. I
also think he was lucky the war ended when it did: those who flew the
Me.163 Komet tended not to live long.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 25th 16, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 2/25/2016 4:51 AM, Casey wrote:
I just ran across a biography by Joe Volmar, "I Learned to Fly For
Hitler".

http://www.abebooks.com/978096713890...0967138906/plp

Has anyone read it, and how many stars?

An excellent, and well-written, book for anyone with the slightest interest in
either history in general or gliding/soaring in particular. As with all
"field-of-battle" memoirs (read the book!), it leaves all insightful readers
with a powerful sense of how huge a factor in survival is fortune. In Volmar's
case, "simply" escaping the (front lines, no less!) meat-grinder of the
Russian front in 1945 with his life is perhaps the most obvious example.

Bob W.
Old February 25th 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 4:47:48 AM UTC-5, Casey wrote:

Where are the updated books about modern competitions, the change in design throughout the years, the use of all the new glide software and instruments?

Sounds like you want George Moffat's "Winning II", the Brigliadoris' "Competing in Gliders", some of John Cochrane's articles Soaring starting with "Just a Little Faster, Please".

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 25th 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 3:47:48 AM UTC-6, Casey wrote:
[...]

Casey, my most valued training manual for flying is still "Stick and Rudder" by Langewiesche, written ca. 1935. I guess you'd call that completely outdated. Modern software, computers and contest rules don't help you diddly squat in flying x-country. Basic airmanship and experience do. Get your butt in your glider and fly to some challenging turn-points. Then think about how you did and go do it again. Oh, and in between it doesn't hurt reading Reichmann and many of the other good books listed here.
Old March 1st 16, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Michalik[_2_]

I like/read those posted. I suggest including "Crosswind" by Patricia Valdata. Not only is a great read, but the younger generation might enjoy an observation of how to get started in soaring!
Cheers Ms Valdata.