Here we go again

Old April 4th 05, 04:47 PM
Newps

Larry Dighera wrote:

While I have observed such activity occurring at uncontrolled fields
in the past, and the individuals seemed to conduct themselves in a
reasonably mature, orderly and low key manner, it was, in truth,
drinking in public view. That's generally a citable offence.

Depends on where you live. Here in Montana we can continue drinking our
beer while we drive home.

Old April 4th 05, 05:49 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:47:02 -0600, Newps wrote
in ::

Larry Dighera wrote:

While I have observed such activity occurring at uncontrolled fields
in the past, and the individuals seemed to conduct themselves in a
reasonably mature, orderly and low key manner, it was, in truth,
drinking in public view. That's generally a citable offence.

Depends on where you live. Here in Montana we can continue drinking our
beer while we drive home.

True; it may be legal specifically in Montana, but not generally in
the other states. Montana is a bit unusual in it's lack of necessity
for laws, probably due to its low population density. It's legal to
land on roads in Montana too, isn't it?

Old April 4th 05, 07:09 PM
Newps

Larry Dighera wrote:

Depends on where you live. Here in Montana we can continue drinking our
beer while we drive home.

True; it may be legal specifically in Montana, but not generally in
the other states. Montana is a bit unusual in it's lack of necessity
for laws, probably due to its low population density. It's legal to
land on roads in Montana too, isn't it?

Of course. As I recall from growing up Wisconsin had very strict open
container laws. You do not leave a bar with a beer in your hand. In
Minnesota it is legal.
Old April 4th 05, 07:26 PM
Dan Luke

"Larry Dighera" wrote:
Depends on where you live. Here in Montana we can continue drinking our
beer while we drive home.

True; it may be legal specifically in Montana, but not generally in
the other states.

It's legal in Alabama, too. Is there a pattern here?
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 4th 05, 07:35 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:26:25 -0500, "Dan Luke" wrote
in ::

"Larry Dighera" wrote:
Depends on where you live. Here in Montana we can continue drinking our
beer while we drive home.

True; it may be legal specifically in Montana, but not generally in
the other states.

It's legal in Alabama, too. Is there a pattern here?

I don't see one.

Perhaps it would be more useful to know what the laws are in Michigan,
as that appears to be where Mr. Halstead, the OP, is located.

Old April 4th 05, 08:25 PM
Corky Scott

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 03:26:24 -0400, Roger
wrote:

Landings will be on runways only. No grass and no taxiways. This
kinda puts a crimp in tail draggers on windy days, or practicing
emergency landings, or real soft field landings.

Geeze, isn' the FBO in the business of promoting aviation? After all,
isn't that how he makes money?

Our airport recently got a new manager and came to speak at the
monthly EAA meeting. He's a high time big iron driver and could not
possibly want to promote aviation more. He wants to build more
hangars, opened up a portion of the grass to taildraggers for them to
land on. Did this for BOTH runways. Asked about having an air show,
and on and on and on.

He'd fall silent for a moment and then say: "What else? What am I
missing? What more can be done to promote aviation here?"

By the end of the meeting, almost all the EAA'rs had volunteered to
walk the grass runways to remove debris and stones. We'll line up and
walk each runway as a group.

Corky Scott

Old April 4th 05, 08:51 PM
Grumman-581

In Louisiana, they have drive-thru daiquiri shops... Of course, they
give you the plain white styrofoam cup with a straw in it, but half of
the paper wrapper is left on the top of the straw, thus it's
technically a "closed" container... Pine trees and curvy roads act as
natural selection to those who aren't skilled enough to drink and drive
at the same time...

Old April 4th 05, 08:51 PM
Slick

Preemption is key sometimes. Yes, it sounds like you have a quiet little
airport, but what happens when people bring their friends, and their friends
with their friends. I say this mainly regarding to the parking issue. It
sounds like a great idea to park by your hangar, or even put your vehicle
into your hangar while you're gone. If that hasn't been suggested, maybe it
should be and the FBO would be OK with it. The escorting of the passengers
is fine as well, an FBO near here just started doing this and they offer for
the pilot to taxi to the ramp to pick them up or a courtesy van will drive
the passengers out. If either of those two options are available then no big
deal.

Friends an passengers are there for fun, and in order to have fun you must
be safe. I can definitely see a problem with passengers walking to a hangar
along a taxi-way, since people who don't fly often are too distracted with
the amazement of those that are flying to realize what could be happening
around them . That's one reason why I always meet my passengers in the
parking area so that I know they are safe when I walk them to where ever we
go.
"Roger" wrote in message

We have some turf wars going on and it looks like the pilots may be
the losers.

First: we have a small airport with two runways 18/36 at 3000' X 75
and 06/24 at 3800' X 75. No scheduled flights or even charters at
present.

We are finally reaching the point where pilots are congregating around
a couple areas on the field around and in specific hangars, or several
hangars. Up till a couple years ago the place was dead except on week
ends and after work in warm weather. Now we have a lot of activity
most of the day what with the pilots congregating. They've also
restored a couple planes and purchased another.

These are active pilots who fly a lot. The one couple has flown a new
SR-22 nearly 500 hours since last June when they purchased it new.
The guys in the one hangar are flying at least 30 hours a week (maybe
as much as 50 with three small planes (two tail draggers and a 150)
There are a couple instructors in there as well.
After flying they hang around the hangar, have a couple beers and eat
pop corn.

As one of the Airport advisory members told the city, "this is the
kind of activity we should be encouraging".

Basically they know every one on the field.
As the AOPA says, they are our best security as they'd instantly
recognize, or rather not recognize any one not normally there..

The FBO has taken exception to this. He does not like the pilots
parking on the field around the hangers. Actually, he has a feud
going with a couple guys in the one hangar and classes any one else
over there as being with them and against them. The cars do not
impede aircraft movements. No one drinks and flys.

He has bent the city's ear to the point they have a draft of new
regulations, but at least are asking for pilot input.

Did I mention a couple of the guys in there are mechanics? The ones
he's feuding with?

There is another group on the other side of the field but he can't see
them from his hangar and isn't feuding with any of them (at present)

They do not want any cars on the field except when the pilots go to
their specific hangar. Parking will be in designated areas, No
alcohol on the filed (zero tolerance meaning none even in cars or
trucks) Cars will require a permit be displayed in the window at all
times. I have a bad back and need to park right by the hangar.
Your wife and kids, or friends will need to be escorted in to your
hanger, or be escorted out to the plane after you taxi to the ramp.

Landings will be on runways only. No grass and no taxiways. This
kinda puts a crimp in tail draggers on windy days, or practicing
emergency landings, or real soft field landings.

This came about when a tail dragger practicing emergency procedure
landed on a taxiway. (Some of the help doesn't recognize safe and
unsafe operations. If it's different, then it must be unsafe) Good
thing they weren't watching when I did an engine out and over shot the
turn to the runway while still 20 feet in the air.. It was safe, but
would probably have scared the crap out of the one individual.

There's much more, but the changes run about 5 pages not counting
another set for ultra lights and another set for "parachute"
operations.

He's been bending enough ears that the city is doing a lot of this out
of CYA ignorance and trying to pretend they have a big airport.
Once they got the city attorney involved they are trying to cover
every possible legal alternative.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old April 4th 05, 09:36 PM
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Earl Grieda" wrote in message
et...

There are 2 sides to every story.

Not necessarily.

Right, if only one person is involved there is only one side ... unless
the person has multiple personalities. :-)

Matt
Old April 4th 05, 09:44 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Right, if only one person is involved there is only one side ... unless
the person has multiple personalities. :-)

There can be two people involved and still be only one side.