Aspen at night

Old January 5th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Aspen at night

Yes, the modern biz jet is very over-powered and they can
climb at moderate speed. But with an engine out, even the
hot-rod Lear jet climbs out flat.

Just as a point, I once had the opportunity to depart
Wichita (1332 feet MSL) single pilot in a King Air 300, no
passengers or baggage and only 1/2 fuel. I was taking the
plane to Oklahoma City for a salesman to show. Departed
runway 1R and did a 130 kt. IAS chandelle to the right from
rotation, circling around the airport radar antenna. Rolled
out southbound at 5,000 over the Cessna plant. Approach
asked where I was, apparently I stayed in their dead zone
from just after lift-off until I rolled out of my turn,
about 45 seconds after take-off.

I could have been higher but 5,000 was my take-off limit,
approach cleared my to 15,000 and I was there before I was
10 miles south. Love that big King Air, only problem was my
chart bag ended up in the baggage area, lucky for me, it was
a route I flew weekly and the necessary charts were on my
knee. I use a cheap steno pad holder with a "third-hand"
from Sporty's, cost very little, has a clear window on the
flap and a 5x8 yellow pad.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| KISS WAG SWAG PDC
|
| 150/152 even 200 ft/nm is shallow, but most light
aircraft
| and many jets with an engine out can't do it at
altitudes

Old January 5th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

John R. Copeland wrote:
"Blanche" wrote in message

.... A small single can
physically take off to the SW and make the turn to get out to the
NW but not too many other aircraft (other than helicopter). Landings
are to the SE, takeoffs to the NW with an immediate turn N for the
missed.

You are technically correct, Blanche, but don't take off to the SW
without observing this note from the KASE Airport Information Chart:
"Take-off not authorized on Rwy 15 without written permission
from airport manager."
Though I'm not certain, I think noise issues affect that operation, too.

BTW, Blanche, have you ever visited the huge localizer antenna array
up at the top of Ajax, near the restaurant?
Impressive, isn't it?

Top of Ajax is about the only place to put the antennas!

As for the SW takeoff, the noise issues are complaints from the
McMansions at the SW end of the valley. Once upon a time Babs had
a ranch there, don't know if she still does or not.

(you know you're a local when you call it Ajax and Buttermilk)
Old January 5th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

(you know you're a local when you call it Ajax and Buttermilk)

Is there another name for Buttermilk? (I have skied all the Aspen
areas but it was years ago)

And, where is the localizer antenna? I have a vague recollection of a
structure extending across the top of the ski run "Buckhorn", almost
blocking it (i.e. you had to ski around it to get to the run). Is that
it? (trail map:
http://www.rsn.com/util/trail_map_disp.html?permcode=303003 )

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old January 5th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"John Clonts" wrote in message oups.com...
(you know you're a local when you call it Ajax and Buttermilk)

Is there another name for Buttermilk? (I have skied all the Aspen
areas but it was years ago)

And, where is the localizer antenna? I have a vague recollection of a
structure extending across the top of the ski run "Buckhorn", almost
blocking it (i.e. you had to ski around it to get to the run). Is that
it? (trail map:
http://www.rsn.com/util/trail_map_disp.html?permcode=303003 )
--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Yes, John, that's where the localizer is.
It's maybe 16 ruggedized VHF Yagis over a big metal-mesh groundplane.
The first time I saw it from a distance, I thought it might be
some sort of a picnic platform!

Buttermilk = Tiehack, maybe?
Isn't that just a bus stop between the airport and Highlands? :-)
Did you ever eat at Krabloonik on the west slope of Snowmass?
Mmmmm!

Old January 5th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Yes, John, that's where the localizer is.
It's maybe 16 ruggedized VHF Yagis over a big metal-mesh groundplane.
The first time I saw it from a distance, I thought it might be
some sort of a picnic platform!

Ok, thanks!

Here it is from the satellite:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.153617,-106.821581&spn=0.003802,0.007006&t=k

Old January 5th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"John Clonts" wrote in message oups.com...
Yes, John, that's where the localizer is.
It's maybe 16 ruggedized VHF Yagis over a big metal-mesh groundplane.
The first time I saw it from a distance, I thought it might be
some sort of a picnic platform!

Ok, thanks!

Here it is from the satellite:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.153617,-106.821581&spn=0.003802,0.007006&t=k

Cool!
You can zoom that out and pan northwest, to see how the beam fires
across the edge of the airport, pointing toward LINDZ!
Old January 6th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

John R. Copeland wrote:
[...]

There are 4 mountains that comprise "Aspen" and all are connected
by shuttle but that's the only way to get from one to another.
The 4 are Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk and
Snowmass. Buttermilk is mostly for beginners. The original name
for Aspen Mountain was Ajax.

Useful for winning trivia contests!

Old January 6th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Blanche" wrote in message ...
John R. Copeland wrote:
[...]

Don't forget that other bit of trivia, Blanche...
"What percentage of Aspen Mountain is rated for Beginners?"
Obviously, you and many others here already know the answer.

I still miss the après-ski rowdiness on the old deck at Little Nell. :-(

FAA PPL night flight requirement - does it have to be DUAL? Peter Clark Piloting 21 January 6th 05 12:38 AM
Night solo XC? G. Burkhart Piloting 51 October 14th 04 03:11 PM
Night of the bombers - the most daring special mission of Finnishbombers in WW2 Jukka O. Kauppinen Military Aviation 4 March 22nd 04 11:19 PM