?? Wasps flew Hurricanes and Spits??

Old January 2nd 04, 12:08 AM
Dave Eadsforth

In article .rogers.com
, Sid Wood writes

"robert arndt" wrote in message
. com...

p.s. Hope this info helps... but does anyone know what R.A.S.C. stands
for?

Royal Army Service Corps?

More cruelly referred to by other units as:

'Run Away - Someone's Coming'

And of course the Local Defence Volunteers were saddled with:

'Look, Duck, Vanish'

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth
Old January 3rd 04, 03:54 AM
robert arndt

The USAF is way ahead of you Brits. I read a biography of
the WWI US Air Service Medal of Honor winner Frank Luke that
mentioned how he loved to go to bars dressed like a woman.
Luke Air Force Base in Arizona is named after him.

Joe

How ironic too that the first US transsexual was Christine Jorgensen,
a former G.I. from the Bronx!!!
IIRC, he served post-WW2 though... Cowell was a Spitfire pilot and
POW.

Rob

p.s. Cowell's autobiography is OOP but still can be obtained from
www.bookfinder.com for a small fee. Jorgensen's book was reprinted in
2000 (ISBN 1573441007) and available.
I read Cowell's book which is fairly interesting, especially the
period in the R.A.F. Still, there is no documentation provided of
Cowell's record in Spits aside from his own memory and a few photos of
his military I.D and POW card. Sad too that as a woman Cowell lost all
interest in both flying and racing cars.
Old January 3rd 04, 11:09 AM
Richard Cole

And then we had the RAMC: Royal Army Medical Corps, with the alias run away, matron's coming or rob and murder our comrades!

Sorry fellas, you did a good job putting me back together! Cambridge Military Hospital at Aldershot and the Royal Herbert Military hospital at Woolwich - which had a magnificent view of the graveyard, but now defunct!

Richard. very ex-paratrooper!