To go around or not go around? - Video

Old July 13th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default To go around or not go around? - Video

In article
,
" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNNULCL4Mw

I was to go with a friend as I had not flown with him since he getting
his PPL

Winds were above his Xwind limits so I told him grab a CFI to
experience what I considered rather mild crosswinds. I told him I
wouldn't be comfortable from the right seat and I am not a CFI but
today was certainly a flyable day. So he called his brother who is a
CFI.

It would be interesting to hear what others would have done on the
first landing.

My "Howard Cosell" in the action commentary is in the video.

First of all, if I were landing in a strong crosswind, I would NOT use
full flaps! They aggravate weathervaning and potential loss of control.

I would also carry an extra 10 mph to add controllability.

Old July 13th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Jul 13, 3:31*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

--
Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.

I definitely agree with the lesser flaps myself as I do that in my
Sundowner (most of the time 70 knots on final and 10 degrees of flaps
for me).

Pilot after the flight said he was doing 70 over the numbers. Dunno,
kinda hard to judge airspeed from the outside, but he sure looked fast
to me.
Old July 21st 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 13, 2:31 pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

First of all, if I were landing in a strong crosswind, I would NOT use
full flaps! They aggravate weathervaning and potential loss of control.

This wasn't much crosswind, according to that windsock, though it's
hard to see much with the camera shaking so much. One fault I did see,
though, was the ailerons going to neutral right after the touchdown.
That's a good way to lose the airplane sooner or later. The flight
isn't over just because the wheels are on the pavement, and many an
airplane has been badly bent when the pilot figured he was safely
down. Increasing aileron into the wind, eventually right to the stops,
as the airplane slows is the only way to keep the upwind wing from
lifting. Once it lifts it's hard to regain control. And touch-and-goes
don't teach the hardest part of a crosswind landing, either: the
rollout, where the loss of forward speed increases the crosswind
vector angle and the flight controls lose their authority. The old
Champ was fine in crosswinds up to 15 knots or more, but if you
weren't right up to snuff as it slowed in the rollout, it would bite
you real hard. We lost a Champ when a student wasn't paying attention
right after touchdown and the upwind wing lifted, dragging the
downwind wing on the pavement and turning the airplane out of the wind
and into the rough where it went up on its nose.

Dan

Old July 25th 09, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

wrote:

[...]

Lots of good advice there!

I admit that I nearly wrecked a Cessna 150 through just that sort of
inattention, and I thank God that I was not solo at the time.

By the way, that was nearly 30 years ago and, according to the FAA Database,
that Cessna 150M is still flying and based in Georgia.

Peter

gratis jamba handyvideo lustige jamba videos fuer handy jamba videoin handy format jamba handy video 3gp jamba handy videos free download jambahandy video schuelerin [email protected] Piloting 0 May 25th 08 01:00 PM
looking for a video mike regish Piloting 20 May 18th 07 12:27 AM
VIDEO: Frecce Tricolore collides over Ramstein - a new head on video Montblack Piloting 1 February 12th 05 04:03 AM
OH-58 must see video Jeff Piloting 26 March 18th 04 09:39 AM
F-14 and F/A-18 fly-by video Ditch Military Aviation 3 January 18th 04 03:54 PM