A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Instrument Flight Rules
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Downers Grove, Il - suggestions?

Old March 18th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Downers Grove, Il - suggestions?

I need to go to Downers Grove the week and am considering taking a 182RG from the local FBO here in Bentonville. I thought Schaumburg Regional might be close, but it shows OTS indefinitely on the web site I use. Next choice might appear to be Dupage. Anyone from around their with some suggestions? I'll need to tie down for 1 or 2 nights during the week.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
Old March 18th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty
external usenet poster

http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/nearby_airports

On 3/18/2007 3:45 PM, Jim Carter wrote the following:
I need to go to Downers Grove the week and am considering taking a 182RG
from the local FBO here in Bentonville. I thought Schaumburg Regional
might be close, but it shows OTS indefinitely on the web site I use.
Next choice might appear to be Dupage. Anyone from around their with
some suggestions? I'll need to tie down for 1 or 2 nights during the week.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old March 18th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin
external usenet poster

Try http://www.flylot.com/

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
t...
I need to go to Downers Grove the week and am considering
taking a 182RG from the local FBO here in Bentonville. I
thought Schaumburg Regional might be close, but it shows OTS
indefinitely on the web site I use. Next choice might appear
to be Dupage. Anyone from around their with some
suggestions? I'll need to tie down for 1 or 2 nights during
the week.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old March 19th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Travis Marlatte
external usenet poster

Schaumburg OTS? I don't think so. I don't see any NOTAM and it is a pretty busy little airport. Don't go by any website. Call them to be sure.

The distance is about the same but I think it's easier to get from Schaumburg to Downers Grove than from DuPage. I agree with the directions provided by Google Maps. That shows 19.2 miles and about 24 minutes. You'll pay several dollars in tolls each way. I'd call the FBO to find out about car rental. I don't remember that there is a service on the field but I haven't been there in a while.

Directions from DuPage shows 22.4 miles and about 32 miles. DuPage is certainly a bigger airport. Instrument approaches. Good FBOs. If you want a no-nonsense. No question about it stay, go for DuPage.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK
"Jim Carter" wrote in message t...
I need to go to Downers Grove the week and am considering taking a 182RG from the local FBO here in Bentonville. I thought Schaumburg Regional might be close, but it shows OTS indefinitely on the web site I use. Next choice might appear to be Dupage. Anyone from around their with some suggestions? I'll need to tie down for 1 or 2 nights during the week.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
Old March 19th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]
external usenet poster

"Jim Carter" wrote:

I need to go to Downers Grove the week

I don't know about it personally, but looking at the chart, it looks like Bolingbrook (1C5) would be
convenient. Airnav says there's fuel and an FBO. Not sure about rental cars.

Mike
Old March 19th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]
external usenet poster

Thanks Travis,
I've been to Motorola at Schaumburg quite a bit by car and to the HP office in Downers Grove also, but never by air before. Looks like Schaumburg would be the best bet for travel once I'm on the ground so I'll give them a call. The OTS entry is on the website used by the Golden Eagle Flight Prep package when you select their airfield information option. I didn't check NOTAMS yet because I may not go until Wednesday now. Thanks again for the pointers.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Travis Marlatte" wrote in message et...
Schaumburg OTS? I don't think so. I don't see any NOTAM and it is a pretty busy little airport. Don't go by any website. Call them to be sure.

The distance is about the same but I think it's easier to get from Schaumburg to Downers Grove than from DuPage. I agree with the directions provided by Google Maps. That shows 19.2 miles and about 24 minutes. You'll pay several dollars in tolls each way. I'd call the FBO to find out about car rental. I don't remember that there is a service on the field but I haven't been there in a while.

Directions from DuPage shows 22.4 miles and about 32 miles. DuPage is certainly a bigger airport. Instrument approaches. Good FBOs. If you want a no-nonsense. No question about it stay, go for DuPage.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK
"Jim Carter" wrote in message t...

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
Old March 19th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Nathan Young
external usenet poster

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:45:49 GMT, "Jim Carter"
wrote:

Hi Jim,

Schaumburg is a great airport (great restaurant too - Pilot Pete's).
However, it is not that close to Downers and lacks instrument
approaches.

I would fly to Lewis/Romeoville - KLOT. Romeoville has 2 long runways
with LOC approaches, and is a quick trip up Rt 53 to I-55 to Downers.

Avis is on the field, and Enterprise will deliver to the terminal.
http://www.flylot.com

DuPage followed by Midway are probably the next best options.

-Nathan