Aerodynamics of carrying water

Old October 11th 05, 03:55 AM
Gene Whitt

Default Aerodynamics of carrying water

Y'all,
Been many years on rec.aviation.student but even more years since
gliding. Unable to explain the 'why' of water ballast to increase
performance in gliders to argumentative airplane student.

I need a simple explanation in 25 words or less.

Gene Whitt

Old October 11th 05, 04:22 AM
Tony Verhulst

Gene Whitt wrote:
Y'all,
Been many years on rec.aviation.student but even more years since
gliding. Unable to explain the 'why' of water ballast to increase
performance in gliders to argumentative airplane student.

I need a simple explanation in 25 words or less.

Gene Whitt

For the long answer, see
http://home.comcast.net/%7Everhulst/...t/ballast.html

The real short answer is - see the polar at the end of the above
article. One curve is with ballast, the other without.

The slightly longer answer is that a glider's best glide, for instance,
occurs at one speed. Increase the weight and that same best glide (more
or less) now occurs at a higher speed. You can go faster and maintain a
better L/D than you would without ballast.

Tony V.
Old October 11th 05, 04:26 AM
Pete Brown

Gene:

1: A glider's best glide ratio is unaffected by its weight.
2: However, a heavier glider flies and sinks faster at
the same glide angle than a lighter one.
3: When lift conditions are strong, the pilot accepts the
higher sink rates to achieve higher speeds over the ground.

Pete

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old October 11th 05, 07:01 AM
Nyal Williams

The best illustration used to be: Remember when you
rode your coaster wagon downhill alone and also with
a buddy in it? It always went faster with two people.

Who knows anything about coaster wagons anymore?

Old October 11th 05, 11:52 AM
Andy

Gene Whitt wrote:
Y'all,
Been many years on rec.aviation.student but even more years since
gliding. Unable to explain the 'why' of water ballast to increase
performance in gliders to argumentative airplane student.

I need a simple explanation in 25 words or less.

Gene Whitt

A ballasted sailplane has more energy at a given altitude and airspeed
than an unballasted sailplane. (potential + kinetic). At cruise
speeds the energy is dissipated predominantly to overcome parasite drag
which is independent of weight. Start with more energy, expend the
same to overcome drag, so give up less altitude. Edit to 25 words.

Andy

Old October 11th 05, 01:38 PM

Vigorously throw pingpong ball.
Throw golf ball as vigorously.
Walk to pingpong ball. Stop.
Can you see golf ball yet?
Think. Ponder. Consider.
Massier = Energier
(25 words plus punctuation, not all words are real English)

Old October 11th 05, 02:00 PM
Tony Verhulst

Gary Emerson wrote:
We have a WINNER!

I think not (though I do like the answer :-) ). While "Massier =
Energier", the difference in golf ball / ping pong ball performance is
explained by ballistics (see "sectional density" and "ballistic
coefficient") and not aerodynamics. I am *not* an expert, i could be wrong.

Tony V.

Old October 11th 05, 04:16 PM
Derrick Steed

Gene Whitt wrote:
Y'all,
Been many years on rec.aviation.student but even more years since
gliding. Unable to explain the 'why' of water ballast to increase=20
performance in gliders to argumentative airplane student.
=20
I need a simple explanation in 25 words or less.

Gene Whitt=20

For the long answer, see=20
http://home.comcast.net/%7Everhulst/...t/ballast.html

The real short answer is - see the polar at the end of the above=20
article. One curve is with ballast, the other without.

The slightly longer answer is that a glider's best glide, for instance,=20
occurs at one speed. Increase the weight and that same best glide (more=20
or less) now occurs at a higher speed. You can go faster and maintain a=20
better L/D than you would without ballast.

Tony V.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Did you mean to say in the same sentence that the L/D is the same, but
better?

The polar is magnified in the speed and sink directions by the square
root of the ratio of the weights, so that (simplistically) the L/D is
the same but occurs at a higher speed and sink rate. In other words, for
the same start height both the heavy and the light glider will hit the
ground at the same place, but the heavy glider will get there first (so
the golf ball/ping pong ball argument patently doesn't work).

And actually, the best L/D is slightly better on the heavy glider - the
reason is due to the fact that the heavy glider is operating at a higher
Reynolds number and has a slightly higher coefficient of lift as
consequence. Look at the LAK12 spec. and you'll see that it's advertised
L/D at max weight is 50 whereas at min weight it's 48, that's true of
other gliders too even if the manufacturer doesn't make a big deal of
it.

Rgds,

Derrick Steed