typical total time and PIC time question

Old October 14th 04, 11:23 PM
G Farris

I think the question came up with the JFK Jr accident as well - Though I don't
remember the numbers, he must have been at about that level, and some felt his
dual-to-PIC ratio was high, possibly indicating a lack of confidence.

G Faris

Old October 15th 04, 03:52 AM
Bob Martin

AJW wrote:
SInce I took my training longer ago than most of you are alive, I'm confused
about current practices.

I came across a NTSB report that described a pilot with about 320 hours TT, of
which about 75 were as PIC. The pilot was about half way though his flight
training for his IRF rating, had a PPL and Class II physical. He was signed off
on complex SEL aircraft.

My own logbook when I had 320 hours tt showed about 80 hours dual, 260 PIC, but
that was back in the late 60s, and by then I had an IFR rating. What about you?
When you had about 300 hours, if you were SEL at the time, how much was dual,
how much PIC? What's typical today?

Well, I'm only at 100 hours right now... going from memory, about 30 or
so of that is dual, maybe 40 is PIC/solo, and the remainder is what I
called "second pilot" since I didn't know what else to call it...
basically, it's time that I spent flying with my dad before I got my
tailwheel endorsement (and therefore couldn't log the time as PIC since
the airplane was tailwheel). Some of it was him teaching me how to land
the plane, and the rest of it was just flying around so I'd get
comfortable with the airplane and show him that I could fly it safely.
Then, after a year or so of that, his CFI friend went up with me and I
got the tailwheel endorsement and a BFR at the same time.