Liyba C130

Old January 3rd 04, 01:38 PM
Ray

Default Liyba C130

Are thoseC-130 still retained somwhere that libya purchased some years back
and held by the US,or sold off.

Old January 4th 04, 02:13 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Ray" wrote:

Are thoseC-130 still retained somwhere that libya purchased some years back
and held by the US,or sold off.

I understand that they are still at the Lockheed factory in Marietta,
GA, although none the better for wear.
Old January 4th 04, 08:46 PM
John

Ray wrote:

Are thoseC-130 still retained somwhere that libya purchased some years back
and held by the US,or sold off.

16 H models were ordered, 8 delivered 8 embargoed &
in storage at Marietta, GA
Lockheed aircraft numbers:
4515, 4518, 4523, 4525, 4536, 4538, 4540, 4541
are shown as WFU Marietta
have no idea what WFU stands for . but those are the only
hercs shown as being there and not being flown..
the delivered C-130H models shown as flying for Libya
are of the 4300 series & 4400 series
4366, 4369, 4373, 4395, 4400, 4403, 4405,
4401 shows as being destroyed at Entebbe 4/1979

http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/int_06.htm#Libya
http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/articles/c130inv.htm

Old January 4th 04, 10:03 PM
Ray

Thanks for the info on the Libya C 130,wonder what will happen now.I know
they keep in storage for years with no ill effects.will be interesting as i
am sure The colonel will be in quiring.

Old January 5th 04, 10:29 AM
Steve R.

I'm not sure it's the same 130's; but when I was there in 2002 they had some
130's that were to be delivered to a foreign govt, but when the US gov't
stopped paying the storage charges the planes condition kinda went to hell
in a handbasket.

Old January 5th 04, 06:52 PM
John

Ray wrote:

Thanks for the info on the Libya C 130,wonder what will happen now.I know
they keep in storage for years with no ill effects.will be interesting as i
am sure The colonel will be in quiring.

in storage in a dry climate, yes, but Ga is NOT dry, its hot and humid.
lots of rain. I would suspect these birds would be considered scrap metal.
IIRC:
there were pictures of these aircraft posted a while back and they did not look
good.

Old January 5th 04, 07:19 PM
DunxC

WFU = withdrawn from use.

Duncan
Old January 5th 04, 08:31 PM
John

DunxC wrote:

WFU = withdrawn from use.

Duncan

Thanks.. answered that one..

Old January 5th 04, 08:35 PM
John

John wrote:

Ray wrote:

Thanks for the info on the Libya C 130,wonder what will happen now.I know
they keep in storage for years with no ill effects.will be interesting as i
am sure The colonel will be in quiring.

in storage in a dry climate, yes, but Ga is NOT dry, its hot and humid.
lots of rain. I would suspect these birds would be considered scrap metal.
IIRC:
there were pictures of these aircraft posted a while back and they did not look
good.

And If I am not mistaken, the two aircraft in the background of this photo
are two of the Libyan Hercs. the one in the foreground is a
Operation 'Credible Sport' bird..

http://www.theaviationzone.com/image...ymc130h_02.jpg