Powell on the National Guard

Old February 21st 04, 10:59 PM
Cub Driver

Unfortunately, for
some reason, it never caught on with consumers.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that ethanol is caustic
to rubber? You can't put gasahol into an airplane engine, even if it's
STC'ed for automotive gasoline.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 21st 04, 11:01 PM
Cub Driver

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 21st 04, 11:05 PM
Cub Driver

On 21 Feb 2004 18:21:37 GMT, "Emmanuel.Gustin"
wrote:

Isn't that army policy? I seem to remember reading that
the US Army is deliberately organized in such way that
any major conflict requires calling in the National Guard.
In part because this allows the professional regular troops
to concentrate on the more hich-tech tasks, and in part to
create a political hurdle the politicians have to jump
over first. Sending National Guard units into combat
requires a clear commitment, so this prevents the army
from being slowly dragged into a full-scale war -- no more
Vietnams.

Yes, that is exactly the case.

It's also an economy measure. Not every military engagement requires a
civil affairs or a bridge-building unit, for example. So why not
train reservists or Guards in those offbeat specialties?

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 21st 04, 11:06 PM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:53:23 GMT, Mike Dargan
wrote:

Perhaps. But in this case, "oil" costs money and lives.

Horseplop. How many barrels of oil could we have purchased for $87
billion?

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 22nd 04, 12:32 AM
Brian

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
Post-war Germany...

At least 39 U.S. servicemen were killed by the Nazi "Werwolf"
resistance movement in the fisrt few months of the occupation.
Additionally, Werwolves weren't the only problem. Violent crime,
thievery and black-marketing were rampant. Germans incessantly
complained to U.S. military officials about inadequate public safety.
And these threats paled in comparison to the physical privations. Many
feared masses of Germans would freeze or starve to death in the first
winter after the war. To suggest that the first year of occupation was
anything less than a dreadful, harrowing experience for many Germans
is just bad history.

Remember, Art flew over Germany and didn't stay. Once the war was over, they
got to go home. There was no CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc. to update us daily
on what was happening. Talk to the people coming back from Iraq and they all
say things are going well. Do we have problems? Of course but it's not as
bad as the news makes it seem.

Old February 22nd 04, 12:41 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: Powell on the National Guard
From: "Brian"
Date: 2/21/04 4:32 PM Pacific Standard Time

Remember, Art flew over Germany and didn't stay. Once the war was over, they
got to go home. There was no CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc. to

I did an 16 month stay in the Army of occupation once the war was over. I was
in the streets and spoke to the people on a daily basis. I'll take my first
hand experience over what you saw or read in the news.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old February 22nd 04, 02:10 AM
Brian

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message

"D. Strang" wrote in message
"George Z. Bush" wrote

Our ethanol experience suggests much wishful thinking on your part,
unfortunately for us all.

Ethanol is a welfare program. It has nothing to do with future energy.

You don't know what you're talking about. When you pour a gallon of it

into
your gas tank, that's one less gallon of gasoline that you're going to

need,
because it's supposed to burn just about as good as gasoline does. That

has to
do with reducing gasoline consumption, the way I see it. Unfortunately,

for
some reason, it never caught on with consumers.

Not really one less gallon because you have to factor in how much total
energy it took to make a gallon of ethanol. I'm guessing it takes a lot more
energy to produce than it's worth.

Old February 22nd 04, 02:13 AM
Brian

From: "Brian"
Date: 2/21/04 4:32 PM Pacific Standard Time

Remember, Art flew over Germany and didn't stay. Once the war was over,

they
got to go home. There was no CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc. to

I did an 16 month stay in the Army of occupation once the war was over. I

was
in the streets and spoke to the people on a daily basis. I'll take my

first
hand experience over what you saw or read in the news.

I stand corrected. Talked to anyone returning from Iraq?

Old February 22nd 04, 02:31 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Emmanuel.Gustin" wrote in message
Kevin Brooks wrote:

: "Then Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Colin Powell stated
: shortly after the war that it "...could have not been fought without the
: Guard".

Isn't that army policy? I seem to remember reading that
the US Army is deliberately organized in such way that
any major conflict requires calling in the National Guard.
In part because this allows the professional regular troops
to concentrate on the more hich-tech tasks, and in part to
create a political hurdle the politicians have to jump
over first. Sending National Guard units into combat
requires a clear commitment, so this prevents the army
from being slowly dragged into a full-scale war -- no more
Vietnams.

Correct. It actually became DoD policy (Total Force), but the Army was the
biggest supporter (Total Army); credit Creighton Abrams for that during his
(short) tenure as C/S after he left MAC-V. Cancer took a good one away
before his time.

Brooks

Emmanuel Gustin

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
GWB and the Air Guard JD Military Aviation 77 March 17th 04 10:52 AM
Colin Powell on National Guard ArtKramr Military Aviation 12 February 23rd 04 01:26 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM