Questions on VFR sectionals and TACs

Old November 19th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Questions on VFR sectionals and TACs

Thomas Borchert writes:

You're going at this the wrong way. In flight, what you do is simply
look at the chart, find some ground features close to the border line
of the airspace, look out the window, find the same ground features -
and presto, you know where you are in relation to the airspace.

But that's just it: There are few ground features shown on the chart.
In some cases, a charted feature is near the border of the airspace,
but in many cases there is nothing along the border. Even with
landmarks, the best you can do is estimate.

I suppose one can argue that the differences among certain types of
airspace aren't that great, and a ballpark estimate will do. But if
they aren't that important, why bother to chart them?

It's all a strong argument for moving-map GPS systems, but one
shouldn't have to depend on those.

For IFR flight, airspace doesn't matter much, since the controller
will do everything necessary for you.

Yes, but this is a chart intended for VFR.

Also, many circular airspaces are centered around a VOR-DME, so there's
another help.

That does seem to be the case fairly often for Class B airspace, and
as long as it's a moderately regular layer cake, you can find out
where you are. I notice that some boundaries are clearly marked as
being on a particular radial or at a particular distance. Others are
marked as coincident with a feature such as a road, although how one
is supposed to recognize one road among others is not explained (in
the Phoenix TAC that I'm looking at, the entire area is crisscrossed
with a grid of streets; I'm not sure how I'd distinguish Camelback
Road from the other nearly identical streets to the north and south of
it.

Figuring the radius (which is normally standardized for
certain types of airspace) is pretty easy, since the scale of a
sectional is the same every time and you have a ruler.

If I can take my hands off the controls and turn to my chart to
measure it, that is.

The logic for class E lower limits is in IFR traffic being in it. Class
E means higher visibility requirements for VFR, so they can separate
themselves from IFR traffic.

I guess that makes sense--although it seems that essentially
everything is Class E, anyway. It sounds like this was not always so.

Old November 19th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Jose writes:

Not cyan. Rather, class E is depicted by that horrible purply color the
FAA erroniously calls "magenta". What they print on the chart is not
magenta by any stretch of the imagination. Magenta is beautiful; you
can see magenta in the deluxe Crayola crayon box. The FAA color should
be called "FAA feh".

Cyan is more like a deep blue. Real cyan is also beautiful.

Cyan is an equal blend of green and blue. It is used in process
printing as one of the four base colors. Magenta is another one of
those colors, and it is an equal blend of red and blue. The other two
colors are yellow and black. By blending these colors in various
proportions, you can produce virtually any color of the rainbow on
paper.

I'm not sure why the FAA chose these colors, but one possible reason
is that they blend easily when they overlay other colors, which
probably makes it easier to produce semitransparent borders with them.
You can get away with simply overprinting cyan and magenta halftones;
doing the same with primaries like red or blue (which are already
screened blends) might just get you a muddy black.

With modern electronic illustration and mapmaking this could probably
be changed, but it looks like aviation charts are still being drawn
and modified by hand--they lack the crisp look of something original
prepared on a computer. It must be hugely labor-intensive.

Old November 19th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Bob Noel writes:

I literally got it from the club a few hours earlier as he unpacked
the boxes. :-)

So is the actual purpose of that big area explained, or does it just
say that it's a (mysterious) restriction?

Old November 19th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

Are we talking about the one over Bush the First's place in
Kennebunkport?

Why does he get a flight restriction? He's not a public official (as
far as I know).

Old November 19th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

But that's just it: There are few ground features shown on the chart.
In some cases, a charted feature is near the border of the airspace,
but in many cases there is nothing along the border. Even with
landmarks, the best you can do is estimate.

You know yourself how many times you've been told this here, but in a
real plane, this is a non-issue - as you would find out from one hour in
the air. Orientation by ground features is a very basic piloting skill
which is acquired during basic instruction. It works very well most of
the time for most pilots - and should you get lost, there are strategies
to find your position again. But, GPS moving maps have made it easier.
The consequence of using one is that you will pass a restricted airspace
much closer than you would using ground features because you will be
able to determine your location more precisely. If, OTOH, you're in
doubt, you'll just give the restricted airspace a wider berth.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 19th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Farris

In article ,
says...

OK. I confess that I don't see the logic behind so many changes in
Class E altitudes; some people at the FAA must have a lot of time on
their hands.

Most student pilots - those with a constructive attitude - try to learn
and understand before challenging and criticizing. There is certainly much
to criticize in the way aviation authorities do what they do, and there are
indeed a few things which simply appear to defy any rational approach to
comprehension. However, without having acquired even the most rudimentary
piloting skills or knowledge, one would be in a very poor position to
identify these issues, much less to make serious suggestions for
improvement.

Learning the nomenclature, color code and symbol legend of a VFR chart is
one of the most rudimentary piloting skills - whether you are flying a
sim or a training aircraft - if you haven't acquired this you are not
even ready to begin learning about flying. It's easy. An hour with any of
the excellent beginning aviation texts available and you will have most of
it. Another hour's review a week later and you'll only have to look at the
legend every once in a while to remember.

After this, anyone can have a question about class E surface areas, and
their relation to weather reporting, or those pesky "Presidential" areas
that show up on sectionals, but are never really explained - and people
here will galdly offer answers. But asking what a magenta circle is
indicates a real lack of interest in flying - this combined with
criticism for the way the FAA does things indicates a perverse attitude
toward flying.

GF

Old November 19th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Scott Post

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:
Thomas Borchert writes:

Figuring the radius (which is normally standardized for
certain types of airspace) is pretty easy, since the scale of a
sectional is the same every time and you have a ruler.

If I can take my hands off the controls and turn to my chart to
measure it, that is.

Taking your hands off the controls is generally no big deal. Besides, if
you know you'll be flying near controlled airspace you take care of your
measuring and other planning before you get in the plane. Until you
fly a real plane you just can't appreciate how simple this is. Don't
make a mountain out of a mole hill.

--
Scott Post
Old November 19th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter Clark

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:00:20 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Ron Natalie writes:

Are we talking about the one over Bush the First's place in
Kennebunkport?

Why does he get a flight restriction? He's not a public official (as
far as I know).

He doesn't. He gets a 1000'/1NM prohibited area. It's when the other
one comes to visit that the standard TFR appears, which (at least in
the ones I have) is charted by the absence of ground color. I see
someone else mentioned that the new chart which takes effect Thursday
doesn't have this feature any more. Course, the TFR can still appear.
Old November 19th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Others are
marked as coincident with a feature such as a road, although how one
is supposed to recognize one road among others is not explained (in
the Phoenix TAC that I'm looking at, the entire area is crisscrossed
with a grid of streets; I'm not sure how I'd distinguish Camelback
Road from the other nearly identical streets to the north and south of
it.

Being a pilot in the Phoenix area I can at least help you out with that
one.
Camelback road can easily be identified by it's proximity to Camelback
mountain,
(from where it gets it's name) , and the mountain is easily identified
by it's shape
(take a wild guess as to what that is !). The other streets to the
north and south
are less easily identified, unless you are familiar with the area,
however they
can be identified by the locations of the high rise buildings. Most of
these are
clustered around central avenue, the uptown ones begin near Thomas,
the downtown
ones are noticeably seperated to the south. One comment I have to make
here is
it seems you ask these questions from a belief that pilots just take
off and go buzzing
around with no prior thought or preflight planning. I can assure you
that in the cases
of myself and the pilots I know, this is not the case. I am a
helicopter pilot so making
in flight measurements with a ruler/plotter is pretty much
impossible(rule of thumb works
for unexpected situations) but the point I am trying to make here is
that most pilots
don't just take off without already knowing where they are going and
how they are going to
get there. We can't plan for all the eventualities (oh look at that!
and a sightseeing detour
happens), but we must know where we are to know if said detour will be
feasible or not.
Most maps if you look closely enough will have a pretty clearly defined
vfr waypoint on them,
that you can use to identify your location on the map, (in Phoenix look
for the Beeline
Y or ASU or train tracks along Grand avenue or Boswell hospital on the
west side.

In short I guess what I'm trying to say is if you are unfamiliar with
an area, it simply
means that your preflight planning will, by necessity be more thorough.

Wayne
CPI-RTC