Fessing up time on callsigns

Old January 19th 05, 07:41 PM
José Herculano

Default Fessing up time on callsigns

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

=)

_____________
José Herculano

Old January 19th 05, 08:18 PM
Greasy Rider @invalid.com

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:41:47 -0000, "José Herculano"
postulated :
Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

Enjoying working on my motorcycle.... Greasy Rider
Old January 19th 05, 10:35 PM
Mike Kanze

Got mine ("Owl") as a "combat Buckeye B/N" while stashed at VT-7 right after
wings. One of the IPs there hung it on me when he learned I was a BJN
School output headed eventually for Intruders. I think all of the A-6's
night hunting tasks and gear stimulated the word association.

At one point they almost hung "Mole" on me (eyeglasses), until they learned
that I could actually do VMC low-level nav quite decently.

One of my 1973 VA-95 compadres was hung with "Asshole" because, well, he
WAS.

--
Mike Kanze

"If you are what you eat and you don't know what you're eating, do you know
who you are?"

- Claude Fischler

Old January 20th 05, 12:42 AM
John Weiss

"José Herculano" wrote...
Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

"Snow" Weiss happened to be the one that stuck. The "Edel" contingent was
outvoted...

Old January 20th 05, 05:11 AM
M. B.

"José Herculano" wrote in message
Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

=)

_____________
José Herculano

Went through school with a guy whose last name was "Fluck". Callsign:
"Custer".

Old January 20th 05, 08:18 AM
Mike Kanze

ISTR someone in this N.G. sharing the tale of two guys named Babcock and
Cochran (or something close to this) in the same squadron being tagged as
"the Cock brothers."

Old January 21st 05, 12:59 AM
John Alger

wrote:

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

Nothing glorious - I was tagged "Spartan" because I was from Michigan
(as were about 6 other of my fellow VT-24 instructors). Not because I
went to school at Mich. St. as I attended Embry-Riddle in Daytona
Beach. I had recently graduated as a student from the same squadron
and the senior instructors asked my what callsign I would use. I had
told them I liked "Eagle" as I had 20-15 vision, but another
instructor already used that - two were not allowed I was informed. So
they settled on "Spartan". Guess it was all they could come up with -
had not done anything colorful enough to warrant one of those
callsigns everyone forever wants to know what you did to earn it. :-)

We had a marine in the squadron who ran marathons and had about -5%
body fat. He was known as "Cadaver". Another Marine was known as
"Brillo" due to his hair.

J W Alger USNR(ret) 1310/1325
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B
Old January 21st 05, 03:09 AM
vincent p. norris

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....
We didn't have personal callsigns when I was in the Marines, half a
century ago. But one pilot in the squadron, Major Terry Noble, a
great guy, had the nickname "Tripod."

I don't suppose I have to explain why.

vince norris
Old January 21st 05, 03:55 AM
Gord Beaman

vincent p. norris wrote:

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

We didn't have personal callsigns when I was in the Marines, half a
century ago. But one pilot in the squadron, Major Terry Noble, a
great guy, had the nickname "Tripod."

I don't suppose I have to explain why.

vince norris

Who named him Vince?
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old January 21st 05, 05:55 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 1/19/05 1:41 PM, in article ,
"José Herculano" wrote:

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

=)

José Herculano

I can say this:

Mine doesn't have anything to do with male anatomy. Nor is it about wood
working, birds that drill trees, or Tom Hanks' animated cowboy in Toy Story.

--Woody